How do you deal when your child has the "runs"

My son is 6 and this is first time having this issue. It started this morning and I kept him from school and he has had 6 plain pieces of toast, a dozen saltines, and I lost track of the amount of popcicles he has had. He has been drinking kool aid and apple juice.
He says there is no change and he has no fever. I'm wondering if he will be better in the morning and wonder if he should stay home a second day.

alotleft2do

Asked by alotleft2do at 10:50 PM on May. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• Bananas, Applesauce, Rice and Toast... bland foods, no garnishments :) My son had the runs for almost 2 weeks...it was a virus and eventually passed. He is three though, so Id call the doc if it goes for more than 3 days :)
    sarlove01

Answer by sarlove01 at 4:27 AM on May. 24, 2011

• Hoe much apple juice? That'll give you issues in the bathroom.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 11:00 PM on May. 23, 2011

• My son's Dr. told me apple juice was a binder because of the pectin and since he typically has constipation issues he never has it until today and he had less then 10 ozs. it has been mostly kool aide today
    alotleft2do

Comment by alotleft2do (original poster) at 11:08 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Bananas will naturally bind you. Slice them on cereal, eat them at lunch, then have one in a fruit salad, etc.
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 12:39 AM on May. 24, 2011