I need some healthy and cheaper meal ideas for a toddler...

ones that I could make and possibly freeze. I am on a tight budget and I'm working alot. I feel horrible because I've had to give him tv dinners at times and I know they are packed with sodium and aren't healthy. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

June_Mama09

Asked by June_Mama09 at 10:54 PM on May. 23, 2011 in Food & Drink

• my 2 year old LOVES whole grain pasta with butter and parmasean cheese. & its cheap too. also, chicken is cheap, i cut up some chicken and mix it in for protein. he also loves brown rice with egg in it which is also cheap. peanut butter toast on whole grain bread is good also.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:07 PM on May. 23, 2011

• mashed vegetables- potato & pumpkin mash them then add some peas- I make this and freeze it alot, I normally add a bit of garlic and an apple for natural sweetness. Pasta is also good to make in bulk and frezze, the small grain pasta or homemade mac and chesse, light on the salt and butter etc. Quick non frozen ideas Baked beans is also good for kids plain is best without high sugar flavors, a boiled egg and toast...hope this helps...........any of these should be way better health wise than TV dinners, not to mention just as reasonable at the store......the vegetables you buy will make at least 6 servings so bare that in mind when your looking at the cost.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 11:01 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I dont know about freezing meals, Ive never been good at that, but my burger pizza recipie is easy, cheap, and always a hit.

take 1-2lbs of ground beef(depending on your family size), stir in some seasonings, onions, whatever you like, or have in plain. spread it out in a glass pan like a pizza crust. bake at 350 for 20 mins or so, be careful not to over bake it.

drain off any excess juices, spoon off any congealed fat.

top with pizza sauce, toppings, and cheese.

put it back in the oven for 10 mins or until cheese is melted.

its awesome, quick, healthy, and reheats very well. I'll make it with 2-3lbs in a 9x11 pan, and we'll eat it for two days.
    supermomma21

Answer by supermomma21 at 11:04 PM on May. 23, 2011

• At the dollar store, they usually have sectioned plates or tupperwares (both with lids) that come 2 in a pack for a dollar. I use those a lot to make my own TV dinners with leftovers. Just yesterday I pulled one out with a cheesy chicken and rice casserole...and I put some frozen corn in the other section before I reheated it. Took me just a couple mins to give a good meal. It is cheaper, too. I bet the meal only cost 50 cents versus what a frozen dinner costs, and has to be healthier.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:37 PM on May. 23, 2011