Would it be unreasonable to ask other family members to bring a side dish or dessert to a family gathering?

My aunt and uncle use to host a family party ever year but they've been having problems the last couple years so this summer my aunt, a few cousins, and myself are planning to get everyone together - the problem is money is tight for all of us. We found a place to get a lot of meat for a reasonable price, but we were thinking of maybe asking others to bring something with them.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:55 PM on May. 23, 2011 in Relationships

• I certainly don't think so... My family does this quite often! It's the reason we are all able to get together so often... Everyone brings something, down to the paper products! I've never had a problem with it, and to my knowledge, no one else has, either.
    CeeCee333

Answer by CeeCee333 at 10:59 PM on May. 23, 2011

• no of course not. my family always does that. i just had my sons bday party yesterday actually, and my mom brought chicken and wraps, my aunt made spanish rice, my other aunt brought chips and snacks, my grandma made potatoe salad, and my stepmom made macaroni salad.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:04 PM on May. 23, 2011

• We always bring a dish to family gatherings. It is insane to expect someone to furnish all the food for a large gathering.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:05 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Not at all. I love bringing a dish and it makes people feel good to help out...
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:10 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I think it is perfectly fine! I would just say something like "_____ provided, please bring your own beverages and a dish to pass". I never mind bringing something, and I like trying the variety of things people think of to bring.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:27 PM on May. 23, 2011

• depends on the family. my step mil got really mad when we were first married because I didn't ask if I could bring something until the 'last minute' - about a day before. had I not got word that my SIL had asked, I wouldn't have asked at all. Reason being is because if you had offered to bring something to my father's family they would be VERY insulted! They'd think you were saying you didn't like their cooking or something.

I'd go ahead and ask if it was me. Lots of people have put lucks.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 11:03 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I meant pot lucks :)
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 11:04 PM on May. 23, 2011

• My Mom always brings something even when we say not too. My one sister does too.
    SeasideNative

Answer by SeasideNative at 11:04 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Its perfectly reasonable! Everyone is eating together, you can just explain that you are providing all the meat and if everyone can bring a side or dessert, I cant imagine people getting upset about that, if they do they can stay home!
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 11:05 PM on May. 23, 2011

• That is how all our family gathering are! We never want to burden the host with feeding everyone so usually my aunt will supply the meat and then we are assigned something to bring, like a side, dessert, or drinks.
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 11:06 PM on May. 23, 2011