What should I do about this friendship

I have a friend whom I have known my entire life. She seems very self absorbed and lately I have been feeling it as a one sided friendship. As long as it is about her shes great and happy when it's about me she vanishes. She does not show up for my bday, my kids bday's, or functions at my house. Yet when she invites me to things she expects me to show. Lately I have been spending most of my time with other friends and we don't speak much. If she hears I went anywhere with anyone she will text me, "Thanks for the invite!" Even when I do invite her she blows me off. I am very tired of this one sided friendship. She is mad at me for not attending her daughters sweet 16 party, which I was invited to last weekend. I just see no reason I should continue putting effort into a one sided friendship. Should I just be done with her, I feel there is no friendship to salvage. How do you end a friendship?

A lifetime friend but not close throughout my lifetime.

txnmomof4

Asked by txnmomof4 at 11:14 PM on May. 23, 2011 in Relationships

• I think its sad that this is someone you have known for a lifetime and you feel their is no friendship to salavage, makes it sound like the friendship should have been ended years ago. if it were me and it was a lifetime friend I would surely sit down with her and talk it all out as there should be nothing you cant say to a lifetime friend, from there you decide if you want to work on making it better or just go about your own lives, but if there is nothing to salvage and thats how you honestly feel, I guess I would just move on, after all that time it would be hard to do that without confronting her. Good Luck.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 11:21 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Just drop her, stop responding to texts, picking up her phone calls and things of that nature.. She will get the point!
    Luisa621

Answer by Luisa621 at 11:20 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I totally know exactly how you feel, I have a friend that I have known for 2 years and she treats me exactly the same way, I have driven 3 hours 200+ miles to be at her baby shower, daughters birthday, other parties, and then we move up here mainly b/c of them, and I barely talk to her, unless she needs something, like a babysitter, house cleaned, etc, I got sick of it, I have pretty much stopped answering her text and what not, I got sick of the 1 sided friendship and being treated like crap!! I think u should do the same, it gets old and sucks, its unfair!!! I hope u figure it out! good luck momma!!!
    Braydensmom4208

Answer by Braydensmom4208 at 11:32 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I would talk to her and give it one last shot and see if it can be salvaged because it's still a long friendship. If not then stop all communication and that's all.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 11:37 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I swear, here lately, any time I find a "friend", they end up exactly like how you are describing.

Good luck on whatever you decide to do.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 11:51 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I would drop her. I was in a similar situation a few months ago...I had to let my best friend go. It was all for the better, way less stress. I still miss her because in highschool we had a lot of good times, but for the last year of our friendship, she just became a huge bitch.
    monstersmommy20

Answer by monstersmommy20 at 1:17 AM on May. 24, 2011

• I would talk to her and explain how you feel and ask why she blows off you and your family yet expects you to attend all of herfunctions. Maybe she just doesn't realize she's being inconsiderate. After that is she still shows no effort, then severe ties. As hard as it is, sometimes people just change and grow apart. Good luck.
    IamErin-K.

Answer by IamErin-K. at 11:54 PM on May. 23, 2011

• you don't have to end a friendship, it will end itself
    Liz4Life

Answer by Liz4Life at 1:25 AM on May. 24, 2011

• scissor

gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 2:37 AM on May. 24, 2011