How long does it take?!?!

Ahhh! the bedtime routine has now changed since my son is pottied trained for both day and night. We do everything the same but now he gets up out of bed like 6 times saying momma i have to potty. We potty before bedtime and an hr before bed he has no drink so I know he doesn't really need to go but i take him and take him straight back to bed. Its a fit everytime he gets up though to take him back to bed. HOw long before he stops this! Its so frustrating....even though i am sure its just a phase.

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 11:18 PM on May. 23, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It is called stalling:) For each child, the length of time is different. Most children do this. Aw, the good ol' days!
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 11:21 PM on May. 23, 2011

• He's probably just nervous about making sure his bladder is empty at bedtime. Just be comforting and get him back to bed as smoothly as possible. :) He will grow out of it soon enough.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 11:24 PM on May. 23, 2011

• lol yeah its stalling.......if it was me and I knew he has been to the potty before bed, I would ignore it to break the pattern.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 11:24 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I make potty the very last thing we do before sleep. We read, sing our songs everything and then it's potty then bed. I tell them this is their last chance to go before sleep. I don't tell them they can't get up to potty if they have to, I just try to eliminate the stalling tactic.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 11:27 PM on May. 23, 2011

• It's stalling.... he knows you'll let him get up to go (and you will, just in case he really DOES have to go) It's a phase, it will pass... but if you know he's going to get up frequently to pretend to go, put him to bed a half hour earlier to make up for the lost sleep he needs.
    hollydaze1974

Answer by hollydaze1974 at 11:55 AM on May. 24, 2011