Anyone married to a man with previous children?

And you also had your own? How did ya´ll handle at the beginning of the relationship, family vacations, and things of that sort? Did you set up a time so that all the children would spend the same time/weekends with their other biological parent at the same time, so that ya´ll could spend time together? Who picks up the kids, how involved were/are you?

Luisa621

Asked by Luisa621 at 11:19 PM on May. 23, 2011 in Relationships

• My DH has my SD from his previous marriage (he's noncustodial). We do family things when she isn't here, but we also do the "big" things when she is with us. We're long distance, so we only get to see her a few times a year. DH does all of the transportation. We are both really involved (DH is more involved than the BM is--he has to pass information to her rather than the other way around).
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 12:34 AM on May. 24, 2011

• Our schedules are the same..I Think it's extremely important that the kids spend time together .
    Helen2004

Answer by Helen2004 at 12:50 AM on May. 24, 2011

• when i met my husband he had three boys already, we now have three girls together....

we all get along together my husband shares joint custody with his ex, so as a family we do alot together.
    its importnant to maintain a relationship with all parents/children.

i will say its been far from easy, but as time goes by you learn to get along and do whats best for the kids.

gem05

Answer by gem05 at 2:40 AM on May. 24, 2011

• I grew up in a home like this, but I was home most weekends. I went to my dad's for holidays and a long stay in the summer. I was glad when my step-brothers were there. One was in my grade and we were close, I would say give these kids the time to have a close bond with their new siblings. It might be tough sometimes. It will be hard for you each not to favor your own kids, and you may feel the other is favoring theirs. It's natural to feel closer to your own bio kids in the beginning especially. You 2 need to talk about that it's natural to do, but you must work to treat them all the same, and make them feel equally loved. Some kids have a hard time feeling like they have to share their parent with new kids. These are valid feelings, as they may feel less special and not understand. You must reassure them that you love them very much, but also watch for game players who may what to break you up! Don't let it get you on sides
    phoenixstar

Answer by phoenixstar at 7:07 PM on May. 25, 2011