Im dating a man who has a child...

And so do I. He does not hold primary custody, but we are going on vacation, how do I ask if he is bringing his daughter?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:26 PM on May. 23, 2011 in Relationships

• Hi, I previously had a stepson who would come every other weekend. It can be a bit tricky sometimes. I have taken care of other people's kids many times (relatives, babysitting, etc...)With the step situation even when you're not married, your man can get really weird if he feels you're trying to parent. I couldn't do any kind of discipline (which drove me nuts because he was spoiled and misbehaved alot) With your situation I'm wondering do you want his child to go? If so I would ask "So what are we planning for this trip? Is your child going to join us? I bet our kids would have a great time together, what do you think?" you could also mention some trip you took in childhood where you went with another kid and that made it such a fun experience...Or you could say I went on a trip and was the only child there and was very bored...I'm curious do your kids get along? If so, it'd would be a great way to start the conversation...
    phoenixstar

Answer by phoenixstar at 6:51 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Why cant you straight out ask him if his daughter is coming?
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 11:30 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Are you bringing yours?

If you are say, 'Little ___________ is looking forward to the trip. Is ______________?"
    Anonymous

• Are we going to be able to have _____ for the trip dates?
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 12:01 AM on May. 24, 2011

• just ask...its' not that complicated . you are over thinking this.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 2:29 AM on May. 24, 2011

• I agree with princesss21
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 12:04 AM on May. 24, 2011

• I dont want to make it seem like, I want her to come, I want HIM to say it in reality, Lol. I don´t want to make it seem like I am trying to overly be a part of his child´s life...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:19 AM on May. 24, 2011

• interesting...i dont think he would think you are trying to be too much involved. but i see where you're coming from. yea as long as she doesnt call you mom i think you are good. from my point of view, i would think he would appreciate that you asked!!
    what if he asked if your child was coming?
    Liz4Life

Answer by Liz4Life at 1:07 AM on May. 24, 2011

• YES just ask its not that HARD i mean if you guys are a couple then it shouldnt matter how you ask...i dont he is going to think you are overly trying to be a part of the childs life your just excepting his daughter and wanting her to go on the trip with you guys....not a BIGGIE...i am with a man who has a DD and i just ask
    anayasmommy21

Answer by anayasmommy21 at 2:32 AM on May. 24, 2011

• If you come out and ask, you might surprise him and he might think you're more open to him in a way- that you accept his past and his present, and possibly want to be part of his future type of thing. Some guys do worry about that (mine does).
    M.Galvan

Answer by M.Galvan at 4:23 AM on May. 24, 2011