Why are people calling the tornadoes in Missouri "American Tragedy" ??

I am not saying it wasn't a tragedy, it was. 116 people died even though they had 20 min of warning!! The tornadoes in Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas ect had over 300 reports of tornados. Nobody called that an American Tragedy. Whats so special about Missouri? Reports didn't call Hurricane Katrina an American Tragedy. I have to wonder why so many people died in 1 town even though they had a little over 20 min of warning. Plenty of time. Ok ya, 25% of the town was destroyed, 95% of a town was destroyed in Greensburg, hell the dam town was just about wiped off the map for heavens sake! The damn media seems to always blowing things out of proportion. Any thoughts??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:48 PM on May. 23, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• People were killed here. Have some respect.
    SeasideNative

Answer by SeasideNative at 11:52 PM on May. 23, 2011

• It WAS a tragedy ....I wouldn't criticize how they describe it. Just be lucky YOU were not there. And have some sympathy.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:59 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Sensationalist reporting. They don't have to use this type of tagging to get me to have empathy or sympathy. Just the facts are enough without the sensationalism.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 11:52 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I agree with you minnesotanice. I live 56 miles away from Joplin and people in Springfield got debris from that storm, and Springfield is 70 miles away from Joplin! The tornado was headed for us, but thank goodness it dissipated! I am thankful that we didn't get hit. I really wish there was something I could do to help though. I have family in Joplin. They are all safe thank goodness.
    proudmom2510

Answer by proudmom2510 at 12:04 AM on May. 24, 2011

• I don't think it really matters what they call it. It is what it is. I pray for all involved and for all the rescue crews and volunteers working to help.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 12:09 AM on May. 24, 2011

• 75% of the town was destroyed, not 25%.
    proudmom2510

Answer by proudmom2510 at 11:51 PM on May. 23, 2011

• They have made mention of the significant loss of property and life on the news for all of the events, with or without the labels here.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:52 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Do you live in a place that gets tornados? It's kinda absurd that you are basically blaming them for dying all because the had 20 min warning. Which leads me to believe you have never been thru a tornado and are ignorant on the subject. An F5 tornado produces wind speed from 261-318 miles per hour. in comparison, a catagory 5 hurricane is 156 plus miles an hour. you would have to drop to an F3 tornado to make it equal. As one of the most destructive forces on earth, a tornado rips apart homes like tissue paper. So, without a basement they are screwed. And even sometimes with a basement. 20 minutes they can either run outdoors knocking to find someone with a basement and risk being sucked into the tornado itself, or they can take cover in their homes as best they can. When your whole house is picked up and tossed there isn't much you can do. 20 minutes isn't shit. many had nowhere to go and no choice.
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 12:33 AM on May. 24, 2011

• These people had fu*&ing min to seek shelter.

I still really can't get past this. WHERE THE HELL WOULD YOU HAVE THEM GO?? They were in their shelter. The shelter aka home was ripped up and obliterated.
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 12:39 AM on May. 24, 2011

• You are a piece of shit, OP Anon.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 1:02 AM on May. 24, 2011