Joplin, Missouri Tornado Victims

I have a lot of stuff to donate, but certain places are getting picky- saying new items only, no clothing, etc. I have adult and baby clothes that are in great condition, I have drop ins bottles, tons of toddler and baby toys, and I don't know where to take it. I have a ton of stuffed animals which people might not consider a good donation, but if it were my family, I know each of my 4 babies would be so happy to have a stuffed animal to cling on to and hold. I know there's got to be other families out there that don't care if it's new and shiny and I want to help so bad. I'm only 75 miles or so, and that storm put my family and I in a serious tornado warning as well. If anyone on here knows of a family with young kids that I could contact, please, please let me know. TONS of help and aid are going to Joplin, but places aren't accepting certain things. We live paycheck to paycheck right now and I'm just not in a position to donate money. Any suggestions where to send this stuff please comment. Thank You in advance.

KariLyn84

Asked by KariLyn84 at 11:49 PM on May. 23, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Have you tried Salvation Army. I used to volunteer there and at that time, (2005), they accepted used clothing and give to those who need it.
    SeasideNative

Answer by SeasideNative at 11:56 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I wish I lived as close as you do.

I'm guessing the reason why they're saying "nothing but new" is because they are getting SOOOOOOOOOO much stuff right now.

Thank you for your kind heart. I actually know a family with 5 kids that lives there. I don't know if their place was destroyed or if they lost much, but I will ask her and give you her contact info if she's OK with it.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 11:57 PM on May. 23, 2011

• We had tornadoes a few weeks ago and the Salvation Army was taking donations. They had various drop off points. Churches are a good place if they have a wearhouse. Right now it's in it's beginning stages of relief. Keep an ear out on the radio for radiothons taking donations. Good for you for helping. Thank you!!
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 11:59 PM on May. 23, 2011

• That would be great Hopeandglory53. I just have all this stuff packed away going to waste. My son's school is collecting donations, but I have about 10 storage tubs worth that I am happy to donate...so we'll see, but please let me know. :)
    KariLyn84

Comment by KariLyn84 (original poster) at 12:01 AM on May. 24, 2011

• They are being picky because of all the crap and useless items people sent to Alabama. Broken toys and torn clothes were sent there and it created more issues than it helped and then they had to figure out how to get rid of it all. We donated money to the Red Cross in our area they are taking real supplies that are needed with them.

chaiteamomma

Answer by chaiteamomma at 12:06 AM on May. 24, 2011

• That's awful!! Who would do such a thing?! All my stuff was washed and folded for my yard sale two weeks ago, and everything that was leftover has been in my shed since. Nothing has tears, stains, I even lysoled the toys prior to....lol I'll contact S.A. in the morning and find out.
    KariLyn84

Comment by KariLyn84 (original poster) at 12:12 AM on May. 24, 2011

• If you are low on funds, one way you can help is by donating blood. Look up the American Red Cross. They need all blood types but type O is a universal donor. Also, the stuffed animals you have...look here on the left hand side next to number 1....I'm sure if you send them they won't send them back saying they aren't new and they won't take them------ http://teddycare.coastside.net/index.html I have seen a site saying that what they need most of right now is blankets for the shelters, the workers and the people being rescued. Also, on Facebook, alot of people are allowing others to use their Facebook as a contact point to be reunited with their loved ones or items.
    CAMKsMom

Answer by CAMKsMom at 12:13 AM on May. 24, 2011

• yeah, I've got several of the Joplin facebook pages on mine. They're doing great!
    KariLyn84

Comment by KariLyn84 (original poster) at 12:17 AM on May. 24, 2011

• Its pretty late, so I don't think I'll hear back tonight from her.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 12:24 AM on May. 24, 2011

• They don't have time to go through everyones junk. While your stuff may be fine they have been getting mounds of dirty, out of season, broken toys and clothing. Many places just want money and new items because of it.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:47 AM on May. 24, 2011