Anyone ever take Fenugreek for nursing?

AmberNicoley

Asked by AmberNicoley at 11:51 PM on May. 23, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I did with my first born only because some idiot of a doctor prescibed me cold medicine knowing that I nursed and I ended up loosing 75% of my milk supply. I have to say you have to take allot of finugreek (9 pills a day) is what my lactation consultant suggested along with eating lots and lots of oats/weat products like oatmeal is what i ate all the time in order to establish a better milk supply. Even after all that I only went from 1oz in each breast to a little over 2 so sadly I ended up having to give my son formula a majority of the time. Huge lesson learned, never ever take cold meds when nursing. Luckly my son continued to nurse till he was 13 months old even though I didnt have a big supply and now Im currently nursing our 13 month old daughter :) who has never had an oz of formula!
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 12:01 AM on May. 24, 2011

• I do. I take 2 pills of 600mg a day.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 12:20 AM on May. 24, 2011

• I tried it when I was having supply issues with my 5th. It didn't help and we ended up having to switch to formula when she was 6 months old.

Answer by missanc at 8:09 AM on May. 24, 2011

• Yes,2 pills 3X per day whenever I feel I need a boost. The stuff makes you smell like maple syrup
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 9:47 AM on May. 24, 2011

• Yes, I did. And it does help but be prepared to smell maple syrup all the time!
    Sarahbeth7

Answer by Sarahbeth7 at 9:58 AM on May. 24, 2011

• Yep. 3000 mg/day. HOWEVER... it will do nothing if your supply is already good. If ytou're changing 6-8 dipes per day, your supply is perfect and fenugreek won't change much.

If you're diabetic fenugreek is off limits.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:17 AM on May. 24, 2011

• I did with my second. If you take as much as you're supposed to (3 pills, 3 times a day) then you will start to smell like maple syrup. It was so strong on me that I could take a shower and less than an hour later, the smell was already so strong again that it would make me sick. You can also try lactation cookies--you can google for the recipe. The fenugreek worked for a while for me, but not long enough because I had to pump instead of actually let my son nurse.
    kasey22

Answer by kasey22 at 10:20 PM on May. 24, 2011