Head Start?

I'm considering sending my daughter to Head Start... She is dying to go to school like big brother but can't because her birthday is the middle of August. We went to the appt this morning and this woman tells me they're going to be coming into my home every month, and helping me set goals, and it's $55 a week for her to go.... I don't need day care first off. I'm going to be doing online classes this fall, but I'm a stay at home mom also, and so I do not NEED for her to go somewhere. I have a 1 and 2 yr old at home also. I am willing to pay for her to go to school, it's that important to her, but they do all this stuff too- I kept telling her things like, "she has a regular dentist she sees every 6 months, is that necessary? We have a pediatrician we've been seeing forever, is THAT necessary?" WTH?? Is Head Start really worth all this trouble?? She asked me to set a goal for my family.. and I'm like...um..."we eat healthy, we play outside lots, my kids are very active, they don't watch too much tv....what the hell kind of goal am I needing to set? My kids are healthy, well taken care of and well loved- and it's not that I have anything to hide at all, I just don't like the idea of some woman coming in my house to "see how we live..." Is it REALLY worth all the crap??

KariLyn84

Asked by KariLyn84 at 11:55 PM on May. 23, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Head start does focus on health and making sure kids know about dental hygiene and good foods to eat...because the kids who go to head start typically come from homes where the parents neglect these things. I think it stereo types actually that only poor people neglect their kids when really i see all classes neglecting to teach their kids about being clean and brushing teeth and what not. They also do it to get goverment funding
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on May. 24, 2011

• I have a friend who volunteers for them alot, both her kids went and she said her daughter blossomed....but it's such a run down looking building and my heart just sank when we pulled in there this morning. She was so excited and I wanted to run back to the rig and leave!! lol It was clean and all...but all the process and crap they do...just was not what I expected. It's just a glorified day care that's not even that glorious.....
    KariLyn84

Comment by KariLyn84 (original poster) at 12:03 AM on May. 24, 2011

• ive read that children who go to preschool generally have 'more favorable' outcomes when they get to 'real school' than children who dont because of the socializing and self esteem boosts that come with playing with peers their age, but i'm not your family i dont know whats best for you
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 12:18 AM on May. 24, 2011

• My son is in a part time preschool through the Army daycare right now, and next year he can start Head Start. Thats what they call it here, but we don't have to pay for it, and it's basically just another preschool. It's because his birthday is in October, so he misses the cut off dates by a month. But it is always better for the children to get at least one year of preschool in before they start real school. I have never heard of a school program that comes into the home to check on things, and I have really only heard of setting goals for your high schooler in preperation for graduation and college. What kind of goals? Like you want her to be able to write her name and ABC's?
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 12:31 AM on May. 24, 2011

• If you are not comfortable with the requirements of Head Start then look for another alternative.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 9:22 AM on May. 24, 2011

• My niece and son both went to headstart for 2 years and it was great, they don't always HAVE TO come to your home each month, you can request to go into the cetner at least here in my state they let us. There requirements are for the health and safety of the kids thats all, once your in its easy. You must not qualify to get it free, so the 55 isnt bad at all and it lets her have some organized fun while learning. Since she is expressing interest i'd be sure to send her, it will help you out too. They also are required to go on a field trip each month, she will have a ball! Join their parents committee and get involved!
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 10:29 AM on May. 24, 2011