Medical Transcription?

I have been looking into this for a while now, year to be honest...
I was wondering if anyone has done it, does it pay well, how is the job market, and if you know of any distance/online school.
EX: CareerStep...

thanks for any help on this I know I need it haha...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on May. 24, 2011 in Money & Work

• OK... Yes, I used to have my own business several years ago. I did various Dr's transcription from my own home. I'm not so sure you can do this kind of work anymore with the patient confidentiality laws being so strict anymore. It's also very time consuming, very frustrating (you can't always understand the Dr's speech) and it's not fun sitting at home transcribing all day long. I think with transcription, it's far easier to work at a place of business such as a Dr's office or hospital.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:13 AM on May. 24, 2011

• Great answer and thank you! :-)
    Would you happen to know anything about legal transcription?
    I know this is horrible but I didn't even know that was a career haha... But that seems more up my ally than medical..

Thanks again
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:27 AM on May. 24, 2011

• i am currently training to become a medicl transcriptionist. i am doing it all from home. the pay varies on how fast and correctly you can type. the program i am in cost 2000 dollars or so and is an at your own pace type of thing. in addition the school i'm attending has an internship program. 70% of these jobs are homebased now. the website i found that helped me in deciding to do this is http://www.meditec.com/. they also offer coding and billing legal transcriptoin and i think a couple of others, but you would have to chek. good luck i hope you find what you are looking for.
    2breath2live

Answer by 2breath2live at 12:59 AM on May. 24, 2011

• Again great answer and that is the very school I am looking into haha...
    I was going to call them tomorrow to get a little more on their background.
    And I love that they have an internship program...
    Thank you for adding this.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:13 AM on May. 24, 2011

• i got my certification about a year ago and for the life of me couldnt find a job... everywhere i looked everyone wanted a minimum of 5 yrs exp... im still looking
    zperez0809

Answer by zperez0809 at 8:32 AM on May. 24, 2011

• I have worked as an information manager in both the medical information and legal information fields--in big Pharma, on the internet, and in state government and I will tell you now that the jobs & salaries promoted by the certificate schools are few and far between. HIPPA confidentiality laws and legal liability are big issues in the medical and legal record community--even if they were hiring, right now they are saving money by doing this in-house or else purchasing IVR systems, they would require several years of experience with a long track record in an established medical facility or law firm, a dedicated, secure connection, and background checks. When you contact your school, ask to speak with graduates who have found and been able to keep their jobs. Please do some searching around beyond any propaganda the certificate schools put out. If you aren't satisfied, you might consider studying to become a paralegal.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 11:32 AM on May. 24, 2011

• Ditto posting above mine. I'd also steer away from paralegal - I manage a law office and insider trends note paralegal jobs becoming obsolete in the future.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:22 PM on May. 24, 2011