Question for the atheists, could also apply to christians.

This might sound like a stupid question, but let me finish and hopefully my question will make more sense. I know you don't believe in god, but what are your feelings on the bible itself? Do you think all of it is completely made up, or do you believe there may be a chance that some incidents could be historically accurate, even if it's spun to seem more as a miracle. As an example, I was watching a show a while back on discovery channel about Sodom and Gomorrah. (that spelling looks off so forgive me). It showed archeological discovery of a buried city, with evidence this was biblical Sodom. Reminents of ash and burning, The city had been destroyed quickly and completely. It would take forever to go over the whole thing but the most convincing was a clay disc that had a map of the stars drawn on it, but one object that was mapped and indicated in fast motion they concluded was an asteroid, by using computer technology the backdated the star map, got an accurate trajectory of the object in question and hypothesised the asteroid fell to earth, exploded low in the atmosphere and rained debris on the city. In further research of the asteroid theory they they took glacial samples from all over the world, deep enought to go back to that time. Evidence showed an asteroid collision was very likely. So they took a bible story, used modern research and came up with evidence that this did happen, but by force of nature and not biblical wrath. So on one hand they seemed to confirm a bible story, yet discredit it from being miraculous. I have also seen and read about other bible stories being proven plausible by science, but plausible by hand of nature and not god. So,do you think it's possible the bible stories, or some of them, could be historically accurate but exaggerated and not envolving god or higher power at all?Or do you think it's all made up?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on May. 24, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I have no problem accepting some of the events happened. Plenty of wars and rulers are recorded that can be verified against other historical documents.

It gets shady when events rely on faith to be believable because they defy logic or laws of nature.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:30 AM on May. 24, 2011

• I think that the Bible (and other ancient texts) may refer to historical events that did occur. I think other portions are probably entirely mythological in nature (ie. Genesis... if we look around the world, most societies have/had a version of a creation myth and they are all different) and others are mythological interpretations of actual events.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:37 AM on May. 24, 2011

• Gone With the Wind mentions the Civil War. Just because the book is fiction, doesn't mean the war didn't happen.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:59 AM on May. 24, 2011

• Since God created nature why wouldn't He use things that He knew would happen? Not just in this story but also the famine and others? What is key here is that He told someone what was going to happen. We also see this in other cultures, were a prophet is told that this or that will happen, if people don't change their ways. God or the Gods knew that we as humans are bull headed and obstinate so nature takes it course, people repent for a time then go back to what is easy. It's all through our history.

daps

Answer by daps at 6:03 AM on May. 24, 2011

• Its a book, written by men.
    Enough said.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:34 AM on May. 24, 2011

• People back than did not understand how a lot of things worked. So they where a likely to say things they did not understand where a work of god. So yes I am sure that some of the stories did happen, but I feel they where natural in origin.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 8:15 AM on May. 24, 2011

• yes, i do believe a lot of it is historically accurate. what's questionable is if it was God's hand behind everything, or random acts of geology, nature, science, etc.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:16 AM on May. 24, 2011

• No, I don't believe it all happened, especially where you are speaking of the Old Testament. many were stories of explanation to an ignorant and illiterate people.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 8:24 AM on May. 24, 2011

• Every mythology has some historical accuracy in it. They use real places that are familiar to them, events that have taken place and at times real people, but that doesn't make everything contained in it true.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:26 AM on May. 24, 2011

• I believe in God but not the Bible. It was written and compied by man. I believe there MAY be some events in the Bible that really happened and the men that wrote it and compiled it used those events to gain more control over the uneducated masses*

As for the men that wrote it, they did not have the knowledge that we have today so they could believe that meteors were fire and brimestone being rained down up them by God. 

*Before anyone's panties get in a bunch, please remember that during the time the Bible was compiled together, the majority of the population was uneducated and church officials used that to their advantage.

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 8:26 AM on May. 24, 2011