This question might offend some people who attend church but......

Why is it that MANY (NOT ALL) believe that if they attend church that makes them a good person? I say that mainly because I know way too many people who are either attending church or have attempted that make very bad life choices and end up hurting the people around them. Can anyone explain to me why they feal so high up but in reality there just a big mess?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on May. 24, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I see what you are saying. Just making an appearance at church is meaningless. People who are truly good are being a good human beings 7 days a week, not just by being in church on Sundays.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 12:24 AM on May. 24, 2011

• Because there is so much focus on certain religions where they believe you have to go to church every Sunday or you go to hell.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 12:24 AM on May. 24, 2011

• What is that saying? That being in church doesn't make you a Christian anymore than being in a garage makes you a car?
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:29 AM on May. 24, 2011

• Because humans aren't perfect. And unfortunately a lot of them don't "practice what they preach". Its easy to say "I'm a Christian, see, I go to church" and its another to live your life as a Christian should.

And yes, sometimes we are prone to fall flat on our faces, just like other humans who don't go to church.

No, your question does not offend me. I myself haven't been to church since my 4 1/2 year old was a baby...ended up getting extremely ill from the nursery, and then it spread throughout the family, and our Thanksgiving was ruined that year. When I told the pastor about this, all he had to say was "I didn't know there was a problem. None of the other parents complained."
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 12:30 AM on May. 24, 2011

• I think it depends on the person. I personally haven't attended church since April 1st. I was there to give one of the prayers and a part of the eulogy for my Father. So I did not feel better than anyone.

SeasideNative

Answer by SeasideNative at 12:33 AM on May. 24, 2011

• I truly don't believe that you HAVE to attend church to prove that you're a good person. Or that this is the ONLY way you go to heaven. Follow the 10 commandments and believe that God is your savior. This is all that is expected of you.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 12:35 AM on May. 24, 2011

• Because they are stuck in the trap of legalism and don't understand what a relationship with God means.

"It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased."
    — C.S. Lewis (Weight of Glory and Other Addresses)
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 12:44 AM on May. 24, 2011

• Probably becuase they know that they are bad people and going to church makes them feel better about their bad decisions. I have a friend who always goes to church and acts like an angel, but she is constantly making poor choices, sleeping around, stealing, etc. But her parents think she is an angel becuase she makes sure to show up to church and put on a show.

Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than sitting in a garage makes you a car.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 12:53 AM on May. 24, 2011

• LOL....simply saying "I believe in Jesus Christ" doesn't make one a good person either...but hey, it seems to work for some and their illusions.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:37 AM on May. 24, 2011

• Sounds like it may be true in your life- but in mine that is not the case-
    Maybe you need a new circle of friends-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 8:15 AM on May. 24, 2011