Are there any Lutherans online?

I just wanted to ask what is service like in a Lutheran church? Do you recieve communion? What bible is used? Is there a midnight mass on Christmas Eve? How is Christmas celebrated in a Lutheran church?

SeasideNative

Asked by SeasideNative at 12:50 AM on May. 24, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am not Lutheran, but I attended a Christmas Service a few years ago. It was VERY similar to when I attended Christmas Mass with at my Grandmother's Catholic church. (And I'm not Catholic, either, but the two seemed similar to me!)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:03 AM on May. 24, 2011

• i was raised Lutheran. it's very similar to the Catholic church because it's a branch of Catholicism. There is communion & confirmation, and no midnight mass on xmas eve but there is a candelight service. of course, traditions probably vary from church to church.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:41 AM on May. 24, 2011

• I was raised Lutheran (Mysorri Synod) one of the stricter secs of the demon.
    The church I attended had several services ea Sunday... bible classes during the week
    had a school attached to it...
    One service on Sunday is always in German... communion is offered (your choice to take tho)
    and if you are a child not yet confirmed you can only go up and receive a blessing from the Pastor.
    Christmas is beautiful there... there are (in the church I attended) many services thru out the whole
    week leading up to Christmas including a Mid-night one where we have the children's choir sing
    during the candle light service. (when we attended that wk and Easter wk were our longest, busiest wks as parents of
    students and as church goers)
    Now there are 3 types of Lutheran demons, and the one I belonged to is the strictest with (at that time I am
    no longer Lutheran for yrs now) an all male dominate leadership...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 7:46 AM on May. 24, 2011

• I have been Catholic for much of my life but went to a Lutheran church for a few years with my husband. Slight correction to PP - it's actually not a branch of Catholicism. Luther did break away from the Catholic Church and start his own religion. I don't think they call the service "Mass", but it is very similar - so much so that I felt very comfortable there after having never been to many Protestant services prior to that. They even have the same Scripture readings on Sundays.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:54 PM on May. 24, 2011