What is the best way to move my 6 month son into his own room?

My son has been sleeping in a co-sleeper beside our bed for the last 6 months. He is starting to get too big for it and has been able to put himself to sleep. We have been spending more time in his room and last night was the first night that I tried to put him in his crib. I dimmed the lights, played a lullabye CD while I feed him his last bottle of the night. Once he was finished I gently put him in his bed and rubbed his face as he tried to close his eyes. I then left the room and let him cry for about 5 mins. I then went back into his room and calmed him down with gentle touches on his face. I did not pick him up at all. I did this for about 5 mins and then left for 5 mins. He then again cried. We did this for about an hour when he finally fell asleep. But he woke up at least 4 times looking for me - How do I make this transaction easier for him?

tooqtcute

Asked by tooqtcute at 12:46 PM on Dec. 8, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• its hard but it will only take a couple nights like this befor he is back to sleeping like he used to it just keep it up he will adjust fast. dont back track now.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 12:49 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I have a almost 11 month old.. she still sleeps in our room but in her crib...we only have 1 bedroom apartment... i let her feed her self bottle while in a swing and then when she falls asleep for at least 30 mins..that way i know she is fully asleep...then i taker her out of her swing and put her in her crib.....i have been doing this since she was 6 months old... i dont care were she sleepsduring the day but as long as she is in her crib at niight..so maybe if you can do what i did.....hope it helps
    Anonymous

• Mydaughter is almost 5.5mos, but she's been sleeping in her own room since she was about 2mos. I didn't want to have to transition her when she was older, so I did it when she really didn't know where she was! LOL! Sorry I don't have any advice for you, but I'm sure if you stick with what you're doing, it won't take long for him to get used to it. Good luck!
    FluffyMountains

Answer by FluffyMountains at 1:39 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• You are doing good. Just give ita few nights. I like that you go back in there to reassure your baby too. They know you will come back if they need you and I think that's important. We royally screwed up with our first dd so now I am planning on putting her in another room as soon as she sleeps through the night. Keep the bedtime routine the same. It helps them know it's time to sleep and you are letting yor babe fall asleep on his own so that's good too. It's not fun but it sounds like it will be OK.
    ajbrownies

Answer by ajbrownies at 2:33 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Sounds like you're doing everything just right! I'm getting ready to transition my guy into his own room as well, and we've been trying to prepare for months! Put him in his crib in the daytime sometimes so he can get used to the view and the feel of the mattress. Beyond that, just keep it up, and vent to us when you need to! :)
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 2:55 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Before we moved our daughter's crib was in our room at the foot of the bed. She always slept in her own bed, but fell asleep in her bouncy chair in the living room with us. A few months ago we moved and she got her own room (Yay!). She's been sleeping fine, except when she's been teething she wakes up(i jut give her some orajel and she goes right back to sleep). Anyway, up until last week she'd fall asleep in her bouncy chair in the living room with everyone, then after about twenty minutes of her sleeping I'd carry her into her room and put her to bed. I started putting her in her crib right after bath time with a bottle and she goes to sleep all on her own.
    angelofice

Answer by angelofice at 10:04 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• you put him in a bed in the room you have for him and use a monitor ... babies learn alot faster than parents think they will he'll catch on fast i'd start with his day time naps in his new bed then work my way to the full night
    rachael596

Answer by rachael596 at 12:10 PM on Dec. 9, 2008