Does anyone's kid do this?

My son pockets most of his food in his cheeks - i've found food there up to 12 hours later! It's food that he likes the taste of usually, but WON"T swallow. I have had him looked at phyically and his tonsils are slightly swollew, but not inflamed - he was referred to ENT to see if its something there causing the issue. If that's not it he's going to speech therapy. has anyone else's child done this? How did it turn out?

nurse_maya

Asked by nurse_maya at 4:07 AM on May. 24, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• it's called stuffing, but my son didn't do it after he was 8 months or so, just after I introduced soft solids. I just used to gently squish his cheeks every so often when I was feeding him to make sure he didn't have a ton of food in there!
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 10:21 AM on May. 24, 2011

• well my son is 3 and (actually its called pocketing its a term used often in regards to stroke patients who do the same thing) I can sqeeze his cheeks all i want he will just gag cry and re-pocket it.
    nurse_maya

Comment by nurse_maya (original poster) at 6:36 PM on May. 26, 2011