11 days postpartum - why is my milk supply dropping?

My boobs almost feel normal. She nurses every 3-4hrs and for at least 20-25mins at a time. Lately though she's been nursing for 30-40mins on one side though. I think it's because she's not getting as much so she keeps trying. I drink over 60 ounces of water a day and I've got to be eating enough. I mean, I couldn't see eating anymore that I am. I'm just worried. :/ I really wanted to breastfeed to at least 6 months old this time. What else can I do? I ordered a nice pump online and it should be here tomorrow or the next day. If I try pumping, will that help bring my supply up? I'm worried it's too late for how they feel. I keep waiting for them to fill up more in between feedings, but nope, not yet.

ours

Asked by ours at 4:08 AM on May. 24, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• demand creates supply. make sure you are getting in 8-12 feedings a day - that averages 1-3 hours for feedings. it seems like the feedings are to far spaced. It also worries me that the baby is nursing for such long periods - usually means an inadequate latch. make sure the baby has a DEEP latch or she won't be stimulating you enough - thereby causing a drop in supply. also your fluid intake could be better. Feeling full is not really an indicator of supply either. I would suggest a visit to your lactation counselor - it's covered by insureance and is very helpful.  I am a LC and could attempt to help you more on her if you want, but a face to face appointment with someone is likely more helpful

nurse_maya

Answer by nurse_maya at 4:18 AM on May. 24, 2011

• The problem with her latch is that my boobs are big enough as is before nursing, while nursing they're even bigger. It's a lot for her to get the nipple and then some. I try to get as much as I can though. She just started nursing that long today which makes me think that I AM in fact dropping in supply. I think she just keeps sucking hoping more will come out. :[ I just nursed again though and it seemed a little fuller. Hopefully her nursing longer for those couple of feedings helped jump start some production of milk or something. I'll try drinking more water as well. Do you think the pumping will help? I need to pump and store for when I go back to work in a couple months.
    ours

Comment by ours (original poster) at 7:20 AM on May. 24, 2011

• The pump should help you alot, just stay on it, and keep it up, your milk supply should return after you pump a lot.
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 9:59 AM on May. 24, 2011

• RELAX! Your breasts are supposed to feel normal! Engorged = bad.

You don't mention DIPES. That's all that matters. If you change six in a day your supply is PERFECT. At this age she's supposed to be more leech than human; attached to you at least 2/3 of the day.

Nothing broken here from what you write. Don't bother with the pump unless you're going back to work. If you're not, you don't need it.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:16 AM on May. 24, 2011