How long does it take to dry up?

my daughter is 3 weeks today. she had trouble nursing so i decided to pump. i had to stop because i got very sick and wasnt getting enough nutrients to continue. even my own body wasnt getting enough and i dropped a lot of weight (only 110lbs now) anyways its been over a week now that i havent been pumping and i still constantly have to wear nursing pads because i leak. and its not just occasional either! im not engorged and have no pain or discomfort whatsoever just the leaking is driving me crazy! not to mention those nursing pads are getting pretty expensive! any tips? or know how long it may take? i hear you cant use cabbage leaves is your allergic to sulfa which i am so i havent done that.

xunlucxyx0

Asked by xunlucxyx0 at 5:36 AM on May. 24, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't have a lot of good news for you, I nursed my son for 10 mos, but I probably leaked until he was almost 2! Sorry to tell you that, I think it is pretty individual. What I can tell you is that they sell nursing pads that are made from cloth that you can wash, and they are worth every penny! Also, they are sort of pretty, some of them. Here's a link to Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-AVENT-Washable-Nursing-Count/dp/B000063XV4

This was just the first thing that I found on Google, so you may be able to find a better deal somewhere, but these were similar to what I had. If you are handy, you could probably make some of your own! I would think that cloth diapers would make excellent nursing pads.

I have seen other mothers say that Sage Tea helped dry up their breastmilk. I have never used, so I don't know. I have just seen this mentioned. Hope this info helps! Good luck!
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 10:45 AM on May. 24, 2011

• It takes up to a year to dry up naturally. However, estrogen birth control such as YAZ will have you dry by Friday if you start it TODAY.

That said... as long as you have breasts and a living baby it's still possible to get her back on the breast *if you want.* Never too late!

Answer by gdiamante at 11:11 AM on May. 24, 2011

• U can deff. ask your doc. for a pill that will make u dry up since u are no longer going to breastfeed
    msmamakatie

Answer by msmamakatie at 7:30 PM on May. 24, 2011