This is an awesome story for Christmas in general and a Christmas in hard times in particular...

http://www.venturacountystar.com/news/2008/dec/07/the-last-dime/
It's based on the author's own childhood during the depression. Don't worry, it's not a soppy tear-jerker type story.

Have you heard a good hard times Christmas story? Have a link to it?

kaycee14

Asked by kaycee14 at 12:56 PM on Dec. 8, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• OMG, Thank you for sharing that.
    I don't have a link but a bit of a story my momtold me about when she was a little girl. she was born in 1921 and told me about the Christmas during the Depression when my grandparents could only afford to give my mom and her 3 sisters an orange and a pair of socks each.
    Try that with your kids now and they'd think you've lost it! I learned to appreciate everything I'm given as presents. Homemade or store bought, it means so much to be given something someone thought about me to give. Hard lesson to learn but, thanks mom...even tho' you've been gone 11 yrs, you taught me how to appreciate everything.
    WAganma56

Answer by WAganma56 at 4:48 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I just read it, I loved it, It's a wonderful story, simple and direct and tells of a child's view of things, and the faith and persistance that made America strong. As long as there are people like the ones in the story, no matter how hard times get, there will always be faith and freedom.
    Anonymous

• this is a wonderful story. I did get tears.. very sentimental..
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 5:38 PM on Dec. 8, 2008