Why NOT homeschool? I'm so tired of the stereotypes and the completely misinformed people...before posting your answer, be sure you know what you're talking about. Try to convince me that public school is best...

ReneeK3

Asked by ReneeK3 at 12:35 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in General Parenting

• I’ve seen kids that are in public school that are socially withdrawn, because they were the ones that were always being picked on and they didn’t have any “friends”. There are those that become so inward and feel that the whole outside world is bad, but not all homeschooler are like that. Do I think I’m better then any teacher, NO I don’t think I’m better I just think I can give my kids the more one on one time they need and more focus on what their true abilities are….if they are a grade or 2 a head in Math then great, but a grade or 2 behind in reading, fine we’ll work on it more and bring them up to speed on their pace and let them excel where they can!!! Of course what do I know this fall will be my first year my kids will be in 2nd and 1 grade: My kids were in Public School and are excited about being homeschooled this fall…they could not wait for the school year to be done!!
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 10:14 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Why debate?? do what is right for you!
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 12:38 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• You. unfortunately, are going into this request without any intention of being swayed. You have your mind made up, and at this point, there is most likely nothing that can be said to change that. You need to do what you feel is right for you and for your children.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 12:39 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• There is no reason not to homeschool. If you can do it, I think it is great.
    bizlady

Answer by bizlady at 12:42 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• What makes you think that you are as qualified as a teacher who has a degree and is certified to teach?? I think your kids would miss out on the social interation which is very important. The kids that are homeschooled that I have come in contact with are very withdrawn socially....
    Anonymous

• I think homeschooling can be good and bad. It depends on what the parent teaches and how much social interaction the children get with other children. For me personally though, I will not homeschool unless it is absolutely neseccary.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 12:51 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Public school is great as long as you are an involved parent. My kids are doing excellent in public school. We are involved. We keep in contact with the teachers, we make sure the homework is done on a daily basis. You can't send your child to public school and expect the teachers to do it all, you need to provide the support. I think there are some parents who are homeschooling their children, and they are totally unqualified to do so....
    Anonymous

• I do what I beleive is right and I am sure you do the same. I wont debate.
    Chris127

Answer by Chris127 at 12:59 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• My mom homeschooled me after 1st grade. By the time I reached ninth, she quit teaching or having anything to do with my education. By my senior year, she wanted to graduate me when I was still on a 9th or 10th grade level, so I moved out and got a GED. Plus, I never got to be around other people my own age, so I NEVER developed any social skills. Because of that, when I got out on my own, the world just ate me alive. *Winter*
    summercrime

Answer by summercrime at 1:00 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I think the kids are missing out on the social skills that they would otherwise cultivate in public schools. The homeschool Moms that I have come in contact with need some social skills too...LOL !!!
    Anonymous