Does sin justify hate?

I have seen thousands of debates on here about Christians protesting gay marriage etcera. I am a Christian. I am also a close family member to a homosexual. So my question is , Does sin justify hate? Is it okay to be hateful towards someone because they are a sinner? After all have not all of us sinned and fallen short of the glory of God? It breaks my heart to see my cousins mother say such hateful things against him because he is gay and she is a Christian. I have also seen MANY hateful things come from christian mouths on here as well. So I am curious, do you think sin justifies behaving in a hateful manner?

humaniterian87

Asked by humaniterian87 at 1:04 PM on Dec. 8, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I agree, You don't hate the person, you just hate their actions, there is a separation there that is very difficult for a lot of people to do. Its true that all have sinned and it's only by the grace of God that we aren't the one in the situation of sin with others hating us. I always try to put myself in other's shoes and try to wonder why people do the things that they do. Its not always who they are on the inside but an influence or situation that placed them in that sin.
    WiseMom1970

Answer by WiseMom1970 at 11:42 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• No I was raised to hate the sin but love the sinner. I dont agree with the lifestyle of homosexuals and I do have family who are homosexual. I have sat down and explained to them my stance on it and we have a mutual respect for one another. They know I dont want them open around my small children in my home because it is something I dont agree with. And if I am in their home I understand it is their home and dont tell them what to do either. Like I say tolerance is a two way street and if you really dont agree with someones lifestyle choice no matter what it is theres no reason to be nasty. How will they ever learn Christs love if a Christian is being nasty to them?

Answer by gemgem at 1:07 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Loving the person is different from hating the sin. I would be witnessing to that person in a loving way to persuade them to follow the way of Christ, but at the same time telling them in wisdom I do not approve of what you're doing and telling them the consequences of their sin. No one wants to see anybody perish especially a loved one.
    Sis.Jackson

Answer by Sis.Jackson at 1:08 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I don't believe in "sin" so I can't answer but I have a feelign you'll get several "Love the Sinner Hate the Sin" type answers
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:08 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Let me say I have no problems with homosexuality. gemgem, I wish more people had the attitude you do. To me, your attitude is exactly the right one to have. If you don't agree with someone, you're entitled to say they can't bring/do whatever it is to your house, and they have the right to do whatever in their home, even if you're there. I really don't like people who, whatever it is (homosexuality or just the fact that someone doesn't practice their religion) feels the need to "preach" and try to change someone's mind. Your perspective seems to be an "agree to disagree" kind of thing, and I applaud you for being able to do that.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 1:25 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• OH wow I have cousins who claim to be gay..they are the sweetest men I have ever known. I love them and would NEVER speak ill of them. We all have battles we must face every day and I would hate to hinder the move of the Holy Spirit in my life or in any one else's because I chose to spew hatred out of my mouth instead of LOVE which conquers all.

TalithaStarry

Answer by TalithaStarry at 1:53 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Just because I don't agree with someone's lifestyle does NOT mean I hate them! People always make the assumption that Christians that don't support gays/lesbians must hate them. We don't!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:46 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• the bible says hate the sin but love the siner.
    madcat500

Answer by madcat500 at 4:48 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• We are to love all.. and we should love them enough to be honest about their sin.. no matter what the sin is... unfortunately when a Christian says they are against someone's sinful lifestyle.. we are accused of hating. I will sadly admit there are some "Christians" or should I say religious ppl (there is a difference) who do not show the love of Christ when speaking to someone about sin or their sinful lifestyle and those people are wrong. However, if someone asks me if what they are doing is a sin (i.e. homosexuality) I will tell them yes... not from hate but out of love.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 5:23 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I don't believe homosexuality is a sin since same-sex pairings occur all across nature. Even in the insect world. About 1 percent of any population is same-sex. How can it be a sin if God created it in all of his creatures? I don't think it is. People that use religion as an excuse to spout hate are not good people. There is no religion that I know of that tells people it is o.k. to hate anyone or anything. Unhappy, angry, scared people hate other people. It has nothing to do with religion.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 7:55 PM on Dec. 8, 2008