Diet and depression/mental health?

Has anyone tried using their diet to control or help with depression/OCD/anxiety etc? I'm thinking of trying this out. It will be hard, but I know it will benefit me health-wise in other ways too, so that's an added bonus, even if it doesn't work for the depression.

lovingmy4babies

Asked by lovingmy4babies at 8:06 AM on May. 24, 2011 in Health

• There is a lot of research that indicates a strong connection between depression and vitamin and mineral deficiencies. The body needs certain precursors to produce serotonin, acetylcholine and norepinephrine. These same precursors are used by the body to produce cortisol, the stress hormone. Under stress, the body will always choose the adrenal system over the nervous system and if there aren't enough precursors to go around, the nervous system takes the hit and produces less serotonin, acetylcholine and norepinephrine. Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids and zinc, magnesium, calcium, iron, Vtamin C, choline and inositol are among these precursors. Food sources are better, as they are 100% bioavailable.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 8:22 AM on May. 24, 2011

• i didn't know diet could alter mental health. i'll give you a bump because both my husband and i suffer PTSD, plus he deals with depression and i deal with anxiety, neither of us take meds for it. would be interesting if a simple diet switch could help!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:09 AM on May. 24, 2011

• Ive done it....its a good way to try to handle depression without having to take meds....and its not a diet like your trying to loose weight but what you eat can make you feel better....and no im not talking about chocolate and pms lol....but eating healthy and going for a walk every night just makes you feel better. If you are going to try this try talking to a nutritionist first so you know what you should be eating and all of that fun stuff....Good luck and I hope it works...if you dont like to go for walks or workout then take the kids to the park and play with them there...its a good change up and its nice to be outside....like I said good luck and I hope it helps.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:33 AM on May. 24, 2011

• I agree with the vitamin and mineral deficiencies.
    Dabberdoo

Answer by Dabberdoo at 1:33 PM on May. 24, 2011

• The answers re: vitamin/mineral deficiencies are right on. Example, the body needs magnesium in order to release and bind adequate amounts of serotonin (the "feel good" brain chemical) for balanced mental functioning. Most people are deficient. Also, B vitamins are important ... 5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptamine) is an amino acid that crosses the blood-brain barrier and is naturally converted into serotonin. It has the same action as Prozac but no side effects. Food sources alone will not provide you with everything you need re: vitamins/minerals since our soils, and therefore our food, have become so depleted so you will have to supplement.

Diet can help w/anxiety and depression ... avoid food additives, artificial sweeteners, sugar, and wheat. Avoid processed and junk food. You might want to read "The Yeast Connection and Women's Health" since yeast is associated w/anxiety and depression. Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:15 AM on May. 26, 2011

• Ive tried it for my anxiety and my OCD an honestly it did not help me but everyone is diffent so try it for 2 weeks and if it doesnst help get some medication i know medicine sucks but thats they only thing that helps me
    aliciareichle

Answer by aliciareichle at 3:52 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I'm currently on meds, should have stated that in the op. lol
    lovingmy4babies

Comment by lovingmy4babies (original poster) at 5:59 PM on May. 26, 2011