Why SAHMs don't have control of the money?

Assuming that the SAHM doesn't have a salary job. Why does it seem that their husbands hide money from them. Not saying this is happening in every single household.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:15 AM on May. 24, 2011 in Money & Work

• I am a SAHM, and my husband is the better money person, so he handles the finances. I do all the shopping, but he pays all the bills. He is amazingly good with money, and I'm not as good as he is. I admit it, it's true :) We are doing very well, and have a savings for a house piling up and a retirement account that will take good care of us later. I'm proud to have a husband so good with money. We do talk together about the money and I know all the numbers, but he does all the plugging.
    alphamom26

Answer by alphamom26 at 8:42 AM on May. 24, 2011

• Hate to break it to you, but I manage the money here. His check is direct deposit. He brings the money in and I dispense the money properly. I have several friends who are SAHM who do the same as I do.

pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 8:17 AM on May. 24, 2011

• I also handle the money and have serveral SAH friends that handle the money as well. I don't think that it's really the "norm" that SAHM's husbands hide money from them.
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 8:21 AM on May. 24, 2011

• i do know that if the money was handed to me, i'd be losing it here and there and i wouldnt know how much i just spent in a day and so on. i'm really bad at keeping track and handling money. I suppose that my husband has control over it cause i let him and i trust him.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 8:21 AM on May. 24, 2011

• i'm a SAHM but not married sooo it's his money...his bills. My friend is a married SAHM but her DH wont give her access to money because he thinks she isnt responsible.
    happymama02

Answer by happymama02 at 8:23 AM on May. 24, 2011

• I had a friend who was a SAHM and she could NOT manage money. She would go grocery shopping and easily spend $500 for a two week period. She bought whatever her kids asked for. She would also take the kids out to eat all the time and buy crazy expensive clothes. Then 3 days after payday there was no cash in the account.

Her DH finally opened her a checking account of her own and deposited her spending money in it. Once that was all she had to spend she got much better.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 8:28 AM on May. 24, 2011

• I have never known of a case where that happened in real life. It's sad that I see it so often on here. I'm a SAHM and my husband and I manage the money together.

Answer by missanc at 8:29 AM on May. 24, 2011

• I'm a SAHM and I control every penny. DH's check goes to me, I pay the bills, and tell him what he can or can't spend based on the budget I've created.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 8:18 AM on May. 24, 2011

• i don't know any sahm that doesn't have control over the money.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:19 AM on May. 24, 2011

• Im the same as all the other women here...I controll ALL of it....he hardly has a say in it...the only time he has control over any of the money is when we get our tax return...and even then i get first grab at it to pay what I think needs paid off first. I have only known one SAHM who didnt control the money and her husband wouldnt pay a damn thing just go out and spend all of their money on random stuff....to the point where she was without water for her and the 3 kids and he got them kicked out of their home for not paying rent.....We used to get collectors calling all the time when DH was doing the finances...no i do them and things are actualy paid off....amazing how that one works lol
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 8:25 AM on May. 24, 2011