Healthy tips?

I work off a budget of about 300 dollars a month for food and that feeds 6! I am trying to diet and eat healthy so does anyone have any really cheap snack ideas that are healthy??

Mommi2four2011

Asked by Mommi2four2011 at 8:27 AM on May. 24, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Eat fruit n veggie. Ex . Apple wedges n celery with peanutbutter.
    JGhombuz

Answer by JGhombuz at 11:14 AM on May. 24, 2011

• Make your own hummus from dried garbanzo beans. Make the beans up, then make up the hummus in the food processor (lots of recipes online). Great for veggies and crackers. Do you coupon? There are some things you can get with coupons, and if any stores in your area double coupons, you should take advantage of that (they don't do that where I am). Find a store that is meant for restaurant supply, because you can buy in bulk for CHEAP (WAY cheaper than Costco for many things). Meatless meals are often cheaper than meat, so alternating mean/no meat every other night will also save you some money. Beans, legumes and nuts are all great ways to get proteins in without meat. Stick to whole grains, and avoid processed foods. Utilize your crock pot, and make your own stocks from veggie and meat trimmings. I hope this helps! (I know, not a lot of snack ideas....)
    Try plain nonfat yogurt with frozen fruit and syrup. Yum!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:10 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Beans! Buy them dry and in bulk, then make them ahead of time and freeze them in 15 oz containers or freezer bags. I buy a big bag of black beans for $2.60, I get about 5 bags out of it, if I'd bought the cans it'd have been $5. Buy all kinds of beans, use them as fillers to mix in with meat, to replace meat as a maindish, use them as a healthy side dish etc. You can find all sorts of recipes...black bean burgers...YUM.... You don't have to buy fancy fruits and veggies, buy what's in season and on sale. Apples are fine, you don't need to buy mangos unless they're super cheap ya know? Buy lots of frozen veggies when they're on sale and combine them w/ coupons. I always have a HUGE amount of frozen veggies that I pay $.10 - $.50 a bag for depending on the sale and original cost. They still have their nutrients and are healthy.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 2:38 PM on May. 24, 2011

• i like eating red and green peppers as if it's an apple
    its healthy and on the go :)
    Liz4Life

Answer by Liz4Life at 2:04 PM on May. 25, 2011