Guinea Pig Nails

How do you clip their nails?

Our little guy will not hold still for us to cut them. I've tried to gently hold his little paw and he jerks it away, I've tried to sneak in a clip while he has his claws hanging over my hand and he jerks it away, I've tried to force it and, well, that wasn't pretty.

I'm experienced in cutting cat's, dog's, and rabbit's nails...but this Guinea pig has got me stumped.

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 8:41 AM on May. 24, 2011 in Pets

• Try having someone else hold them close, and distract with their fave food. I use carrots or cucumbers.
    CoiaCuppcake

Answer by CoiaCuppcake at 1:23 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Cut the foot off of an old sock, and use the elastic ankle band as a straight jacket. Just pull out the foot you want, then stick it back in when it is done. Have somebody else hold him for you while you do it and its a lot easier :) It sounds mean, but it is the safest way for him. Guinea pigs can really freak out and hurt themselves.
    alphamom26

Answer by alphamom26 at 8:45 AM on May. 24, 2011

• another option is to hold him on his back (with help,of course as they are wiggly, but laying him on his back makes it harder to pull the foot away as they are all exposed no matter what he tries
    hollydaze1974

Answer by hollydaze1974 at 11:21 AM on May. 24, 2011

• My husband holds them and I clip. Otherwise they get too squirmy.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 2:21 PM on May. 24, 2011

• It works for us as a two man job. One person supports the piggie and holds onto each paw, the other clips. I can't get it done on my own as once the other three feet hit a surfact they try to bold and run on me!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:05 AM on May. 25, 2011