Bad Experiance with Petco

Ok i am an animal lover since i have been a little girl. I always told myself that i will either work with animals or children. I work with children instead.
But anyway i have always wanted a hamster or gerbils. My husband told me i could get gerbils so i went to the pet shope and i went to petco. the petshope didn't have a better slection of them so i went to petco. I got Princess and daisy. Well about 4 days later Princess was acting funny and i just assumed it was from stress and she would get over it. one morning i walked in and i found princess dead, i took her back and got my money back and petco told me it was probably and Respitory viruse they missed. SO i went home cleaned the cage and put daisy back in. i got a new one named Lila. NOw about 4 days after i got Lila daisy started acting funny. SO i called petco they told me bring her in and they will take her to the vet and have the bill since she was at the 15day mark. I did, and i waited for the call. they called and told me she had internal bleeding and and that there was blunt force like someone squeesed her or threw her, and then told me that they think that it is what happened to pricness. and i can't buy anymore geribls from them.
Now i am afraid some sort of animal services is going to come after me even when i didn't do anything to daisy or princess. I don't even know if they told me a lie or confused me with someone else's pet.
and to top it off they also sold me a gerbil play thing and not all the parts are in it. I feel horrible on what happend to daisy and princess and now i am afraid when i go pick up the cage they are going to have someone there and arrest me in front of my sons.

2boysyahoo.com

Asked by 2boysyahoo.com at 8:48 AM on May. 24, 2011 in Pets

• Petco is horrible with their small animals. My son wanted Gerbils for his bday about 3 years ago and we went there to get one and it also died. I wouldnt worry about anyone coming after you. They are telling you it is their fault so you dont report them.

Answer by gemgem at 8:58 AM on May. 24, 2011

• you could write them, tell them what happened but i wouldnt worry about someone coming to arrest you, i dont think they have such a thing but since they dont know who it really was, (they have to be thinking "why would this lady allow us to bring it to the vet in the first place if she is the one squeezing them) they cant really put the blame on you or the employees. This whole thing could blow up in court so like the first poster said...they dont want you to report them.

Don't buy any more animals from them but i would feel bad enough to report it online with a letter or something.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 9:18 AM on May. 24, 2011

• Nothing will happen. I bought a hampster from there where the same thing happened. Look at it like this--where is the evidence? There is none.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 9:27 AM on May. 24, 2011

• Considering gemgem's answer I would call someone above them. I go to petsmart and small petstores. Petco has always rubbed me wrong and now I have a good reason.
    luv.my.kids.365

Answer by luv.my.kids.365 at 9:42 AM on May. 24, 2011

• Go to another pet shop for a cage. Petco,I would not get any small animals from them.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 9:53 AM on May. 24, 2011

• I wouldn't worry about getting arrested or anything but I would be livid about the accusation they made against you. I would be writing letters to the store managers, district managers and corporate offices. I would insist on a written apology and a refund.
    marshsmom

Answer by marshsmom at 11:09 AM on May. 24, 2011

• Wow! What a terrible thing to happen. I'd take my business elsewhere.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 11:12 AM on May. 24, 2011

• try petfinder.com instead. The gerbils and hamsters have already been handled and domesticated and taken better care of. And no animal services is coming after you.... Petco doesn't care that much
    hollydaze1974

Answer by hollydaze1974 at 11:19 AM on May. 24, 2011

• ok i went and got my cage back from them, the lady there looked at me like she is pissed off at me for hurting Daisy and Princess, which i didn't do or my kids since where i have them is up high and i need a step ladder to get to them. Plus when i asked her if i could get my money back from Daisy, she told me no there was nothing wrong with her other than the fact that u or someone hurt her. SO now i don't even get my 8 dollars back for Daisy. Trust me i am never going back there again, and i so want to tell the cooperate mangers and tell them they lost a customer and possibly customers i have been telling them not to go to them. They are not even apologizing to me, and giving me dirty looks.
    2boysyahoo.com

Comment by 2boysyahoo.com (original poster) at 12:21 PM on May. 24, 2011

• They're giving you dirty looks and making accusations because they want to make you feel bad. In reality, they are selling sick animals and not giving a f**k and they want you to feel like YOU will get in trouble so you don't report them. It's how pet stores work and that's why I'll go there for supplies and nothing more. Don't worry. It wasn't anything you did and no one will come after you.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 6:25 PM on May. 24, 2011