Baby Shower Question

I'm not sure how to approach this situation: My MIL and step-mom want to throw me a baby shower. (My mother is throwing me a small baby shower where she lives.) We decided to invite everyone (not just women) out of our family, friends and family friends to the shower to make it more of a function. They're also renting a hall and ordering a meal rather than just finger food.

My question is: Since this is turning out to be a bigger party than I originally anticipated (I was thinking someone's living room and finger food), do you think I have a say-so in what goes into the decor, food, games, etc.? I've been to other showers where the mom-to-be did not plan a thing, but those were small showers. I hate to sound like a control freak, but its hard for me to hand over the reigns when it comes to party planning. What do you think, or what did you do in a similar situation?

redmoonintexas

Asked by redmoonintexas at 1:41 PM on Dec. 8, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I would maybe give them ideas instead of telling them since they are giving with this shower. I'm sure they won't have a problem with it, just ask!
    Anonymous

• OMG, you are like me all over again!! I bugged my mom the whole time about my shower because I was affraid that some people wouldnt get invited, they would have gross food or whatever. I did the same thing for my bridal shower..LOL.
    asholan_07

Answer by asholan_07 at 1:43 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• if its not your money.. don't try and control it =D definitely help!! But remember its not your money going into it so let your mom do what she wants
    Anonymous

• lol asholan 07!! I sorta did the same thing for my wedding too!! I just can't help it!
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 1:47 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• You absolutely can not dictate anything. You can make suggestions about your preferences, but be tactful. Ultimately it is their choice. Think of the shower as a gift that they are giving you. You wouldn't dictate every detail of a gift someone gave would you? It's the same thing.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 2:04 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• A shower is a gift to you, so don't try to pick away at what others do for you, it's not very grateful. :) However, you can tell them things that you've loved or hated at showers you've been to (for instance, I asked my sisters NOT to do the games where you have to guess what the different powders (formula, baby powder, etc) and jars of baby food are...I'd played them at every shower I've been to in the last few years, and people always end up working together and they run out of prizes. Other than that, though, it's their deal!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 2:47 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• OK, lol, I didn't read the comment above mine where she says the same things...
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 2:48 PM on Dec. 8, 2008