Didn't i say this would happen?? i know i complained about it several times here on CM.

http://www.kait8.com/story/14701737/region-8-girl-dies-in-atv-accident

(try as i might, can't get my full-editor to work..little help, please, for the 'linkers'.)

it is illegal to use ATV/4-wheelers within city limits..here in Jonesboro; i don't know about other places.  we witness small kids, doubled or tripled-up on 4-wheelers, all the time in our neighborhood. no adults supervising, no parents anywhere..and at times, there will be 3-4 vehicles 'playing together', racing around our few streets. sometimes, you'll see the use of golf-carts, too.

yes, we have called the police, twice. they always say they'll send someone out, but we've never seen any patrol cars. apparently, the law is not enforced.

they can blame this accident on 'wet roads' if they want..i blame the stupid parents and the 'law enforcement'.

dullscissors

Asked by dullscissors at 9:47 AM on May. 24, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• We first knew of a twelve year old boy who died riding an ATV about 20 years ago , several since then...and nothing has been done....its like their Dads are too macho to give up their ATV's or to prevent kids from riding them. It is the parents' fault . They are iresponsible and not too smart ---its stupid to even BUY them. The way things are now....if anyone called CPS the macho men and cops would shrug and deny they are at fault.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 10:50 AM on May. 24, 2011

• Wow. How stupid. I called CPS (the one and only time I've ever done that) on my old neighbors. I could've called for a dozen different reasons, but the final straw was when their 4 year old son came riding down on his brand new 4-wheeler. No helmet, and his feet weren't long enough to touch the foot-rests of the vehicle. It was a full-sized 4 wheeler, the same size as ours. He was out riding at 11:30 at night, and came down to our house to ask me if I had Dr. Pepper. Just because you CAN have kids, doesn't mean you SHOULD. Especially if you aren't prepared to give a shit what happens to them.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 9:52 AM on May. 24, 2011

• Can we ban "stupid?"

Duster is right about people having kids that shouldn't.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:17 AM on May. 24, 2011

• Adults get hurt on them! Hell yes a child will!!!
    OMG. I think I'd video tape the kids on the damned things. If I had the ability to record phone calls on my phone, I'd use it when calling the police. Then sit with the camera for a while longer. When no one shows up, you got it. Next town all meeting, bring it. That's pathetic. Some people should not have kids, and some should not carry a badge.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 11:12 AM on May. 24, 2011

• Poor Parenting.... One of my daughters classmates was in a wheelchair the last day of school because his older brother (11) ran him over with a 4 wheeler... Poor Parenting and Ignorance.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:27 AM on May. 24, 2011

• The parents should not have allowed it in the first place. So sad.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 10:45 AM on May. 24, 2011

• Those things are dangerous and any parent who doesn't supervise kids the age you are speaking of should be fined at the least. If it's illegal the authorities should be paying attention. I guess in your town it isn't a priority. My son was 15 on a 4 wheeler, (on private property) helmet on and everything and went up a hill. the thing turned over and he was lucky he only got a broken nose. They are dangerous even when supervised.
    I'd just go up to those kids and tell them what they are doing is illegal and they need to go home. You are calling the police. maybe it will scare them anyway. .. You could also go to your city or community meetings and tell them what you see or file a complaint with the police saying they are not showing up when you call. good Luck
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:49 AM on May. 24, 2011

• No amount of law enforcement will make up for bad parenting-
    I get your frustration but perhaps the 4 wheeler thing is a low priority for law enforcement in your area for a reason- under staffed? Who knows-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:54 AM on May. 24, 2011

• Millions of people have atv's, some are "JUST stupid as YSK said", did you see the article below on the link page, about a couple in their 80's on an atv that got hit by a car, they both died.  I doubt that they were being foolish but it doesn't really say much, so idk... Very Sad...

http://www.kait8.com/story/14697007/police-couple-killed-when-car-hits-their-atv

ATV related deaths and injuries statistics through 2008/2009 are the most recent I could find...

http://www.atvsafety.gov/stats.html

agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 1:48 PM on May. 24, 2011

• sadly, we can't ban if its not enforced, YSK.
    dullscissors

Comment by dullscissors (original poster) at 10:20 AM on May. 24, 2011