Sick momma--Please help!

I am having my first cold since the baby was born. I have a lot of nasal congestion and was wondering if there was any other suggestions to help outside of taking some sudafed (I am nursing and I know that it will affect my supply which is currently low at it is). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

coala

Asked by coala at 1:48 PM on Dec. 8, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• vics vapor rub,and bynadryl r safe
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 1:50 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• not sure if u can take it but mucinex helps a lot paired with quite a bit of water it should knock that out. and alckser (sp??) i took them both when being prefo so i would think u could take them breastfeeding to. if your afrade to take something try some vicks vapor rub on the top of ur lip (not much)
    kikyu

Answer by kikyu at 1:51 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• This web site has alot of ideas about what you can take both natural and over the counter while breastfeeding.
    http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/cold-remedy.html

Answer by gemgem at 1:51 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• You can take Tylenol cold
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 1:53 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Thanks so much fort he quick responses.
    coala

Answer by coala at 1:57 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1607578/garlic_ginger_syrup_recipe/
    I haven't tried this recipe but I hear it works wonderfully.
    In my family we have a slightly different recipe. We boil freshly grated ginger root in water then strain it. Add raw sugar and cayenne pepper. Simmer it on a low heat until it is thick then take it by the spoonful. I don't really use measuring cups when i do it though sorry. I just add stuff til it tastes right lol
    tcross

Answer by tcross at 2:05 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Take long hot showers and just sit in the bathroom full of steam!!! That is what I'm doing at the moment w/the cold I have!!! One day I took 2 showers, cuz the congestion and mucus was soo bad!
    MR777

Answer by MR777 at 2:20 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• SAMBUCOL. Perfectly natural, perfectly safe. You can even give it to your baby.
    EvaSerenity

Answer by EvaSerenity at 2:22 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Humidifiers/Vaporizers will be good for both of you!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 2:50 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Vics. As nasty as it smells, it works wonders.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 3:38 PM on Dec. 8, 2008