Should you have to have a license to have kids?

Because I have met some people who really should not procreate.

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 9:54 AM on May. 24, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I'm sure that can be said about anyone, lol
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:56 AM on May. 24, 2011

• Oh me to momma, I honestly have met some that are so stupid I wonder how they even knew how to make a baby, but I think they should have to take a test just like with driving and pass to have kids.
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 9:56 AM on May. 24, 2011

• I hope we are being sarcastic, because I can't imagine anyone willing to give up their fundamental right to procreate. There is nothing more basic than that. What happens if someone comes into power who doesn't like homosexuals and want all homosexuals prohibited? Or a different group comes to power who doesn't like Christians and won't give permission to have children based on that? Don't believe this could happen, in the UK they have taken children away from foster parents who took their foster kids to church. All it takes for a group of people in power to dislike something you are doing (even if it isn't wrong) and then you lose your right to have kids. Before you had over more power to the government, try to think about the unintended consequences please.
    AuroraAFA

Answer by AuroraAFA at 10:10 AM on May. 24, 2011

• You need to be a certain age to drink, to gamble and a license to drive, but anyone who has hit puberty can have a baby and i think thats terrible. You should be required to take classes or something!! MANY people just SHOULD NOT be parents, watch the news it speaks for itself. They should include a psych evaluation too!
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 10:14 AM on May. 24, 2011

• And how exactly do we regulate that? Chastity belts for all who don't qualify? Umm... NO!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:20 AM on May. 24, 2011

• Assuming that you don't want to actually pass this in to law, and are pondering the actions of human nature I am right there with you I understand that lots of people find themselves in bad situations and do the best they can with the circumstances they are dealt, (and I am not bashing them or anyone in particular) but there are some people who truly do the dumbest, most selfish, irresponsible things to their children that make you really question the world. Of course the way our government goes if you needed a license I would probably be the one denied because of some silly loop hole, like having a home too close to a main road.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 10:22 AM on May. 24, 2011

• You should, but unfortunately it's not constitutional and I would not want that kind of thing forced upon me. What if you couldn't pass?
    Oops you failed 3 times, no kids for you?
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:40 AM on May. 24, 2011

• I find it absolutely intriguing that someone would actually vote me down when my interest is strictly keeping kids safe and with GOOD parents! Funny how some people are! Maybe they don't watch the news and see children being thrown off bridges, starved to death and drown. Hmm odd
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 11:25 AM on May. 24, 2011

• Considering people who have driver's license abuse the privilege all the time, I can't see how having a license to procreate would accomplish anything. Being a good test taker or even taking parenting classes doesn't make one a good parent.
    Dabberdoo

Answer by Dabberdoo at 11:33 AM on May. 24, 2011

• Wow. I think licensing procreation and parenting is a dangerous slope. I don't think those who find value even as a discussion point don't fully understand the trouble they're asking for should such a thing be implemented.

Who decides what qualifies as acceptable parents? Is it going to involve financial thresholds? If you're going to take a look at who can adequately and safely care for a child, why not include someone that can financially support a child? What about genetic testing? We wouldn't want a child stuck with parents genetically pre-disposed to early death! IQ tests? Do we need to define to define "Family values" and make them a parenting qualification. Who defines that? Do you need to agree to feed your kids only a certain way? If you hint you're open to spanking or not spanking, or CIO or not CIO -- does that impede your ability to procreate legally? What a scary place to live!
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:57 AM on May. 24, 2011