• In the Spotlight:

Could i have broken my rib? or the baby broke it?

for the past 3 days so far my right lower rib has been bothering me like crazy!! it hurts...ive tried takking a warm bath to sooth it..and use a heating pad..it just hurts so much..im not sure if i cracked my rib? i do have really bad heartburn and i take medicine for that..so could it possibly be from the heartburn hurting my rib?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:02 PM on Dec. 8, 2008 in Pregnancy

• do you smoke? it could be broncitus how ever it is spelled mine did that
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 2:03 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• It could be baby leaning on it too. How far along are you? If baby is running out of room to move s/he could be putting a lot of pressure in the one spot. Try to ice it... if it is baby then he should move away and if it isn't baby maybe the ice will help anyway!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 2:07 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• that could be true to what beckcorc wrote
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 2:10 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• It's entirely possible (my nephew cracked my sister-in-law's at six months!), but it's most likely just lots of pain! I had this as well, I actually HOPED it was a cracked rib, as I'd then feel better about complaining about it...nope, just growing pains! Mention it to your doc, though, so s/he can make sure it's NOT something else.
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 2:11 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• It sounds broken or in the least cracked to me. Luckily (knock on glass) I have never had this happen but I hear of womens ribs breaking a lot during pregnancy. From what I hear there is not much that can be done about it and an x-ray isnt the best idea right now:( Sorry honey, I hope I am wrong and it feels better SOON!!!
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 2:12 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• My ribs always killed me in that same spot with both my kids- the baby probably just got it foot or hand up in there. Tell your obgyn they may have simple techniques you can do at home to coax baby to move for you
    litstargazer

Answer by litstargazer at 2:33 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Babies can certainly break ribs...the poopy part is that there isn't much they can do for a broken rib :( Boo!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 2:36 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• the baby could be leaning on it- or pushing its feet into it, i swear there are times that the baby could just push a little harder and rip right through my skin! OUCH!
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 2:55 PM on Dec. 8, 2008