Puppy chow-Chex Muddy Buddies??

What am I doing wrong. I make it just like its says on the box of cereal but whenever I take it out of the microwave the chocolate mixture is kinda thick and does not spread over the cereal.

I put the chocolate chips in a bowl then peanut butter and then butter. Then I put it into the microwave for a minute then take it out and stir it ( maybe I leave it out to long) and once I stir it I put it back in for another couple of minutes.

Do you think it is because I use a plastic bowl??
Any ideas on how to do it different will be great.
Thanks!!

jnb71584

Asked by jnb71584 at 10:02 AM on May. 24, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Hmm I make it all the time but I do use a ceramic type cereal bowl so maybe it does make a difference. Usually the only problem I have is accidentally cooking the chocolate too long. Try using a glass or ceramic bowl and see if it helps
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 10:08 AM on May. 24, 2011

• I would do 1 minute initially and the 30 second increments after. I also wouldn't use a plastic bowl in the microwave if you're nuking it for more than a minute. You'll end up with a melted bowl!
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 10:12 AM on May. 24, 2011

• I melt mine in a plastic bowl and it does just fine. The only thing I do differently is i stir it every 30 seconds until its melted. Good Luck!
    lucyloo1776

Answer by lucyloo1776 at 10:39 AM on May. 24, 2011

• I don't spread it over the cereal - I toss the cereal in a huge lidded bowl (Tupperware's biggest bowl rocks for this, or a paper bag works too), drizzle the chocolate over, and toss it - works perfectly every time. Then I just have to dump the sugar in, re-toss, and done.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on May. 24, 2011

• I do something similar to the previous poster-- I put my chex mix and chocolate-peanutbutter ooze into a big ziploc and shake it all to coat it. Then I dump in the powdered sugar as a last step. This way it doesn't matter how thick the chocolate/peanutbutter is. I can't imagine spreading it over the cereal in a pan!
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 11:51 AM on May. 24, 2011

• Thanks ladies I will for sure put your suggestions to good use!!
    jnb71584

Comment by jnb71584 (original poster) at 10:26 PM on May. 24, 2011

• ok I tried to put it into a ziploc bag but most of the chocolate stuck to the bag. So that is a bust for me.
    jnb71584

Comment by jnb71584 (original poster) at 11:57 AM on May. 25, 2011