Do you worry about your children being "academically challenged" through the summer?

There's this woman on TV talking about how she's worried that her children aren't going to get enough academics through the summer because their school only requires them to read 2 books through the summer. She's talking about having them do book reports and stuff for her so that they don't "get rusty."

Now, when I was a kid, the schools never assigned summer work. And summer time was break time. I know things have changed A LOT in 20 years, but the idea of having children do book reports through the summer just so they don't get rusty makes my brain misfire. Not that I think education stops when school stops, I'm ALWAYS working on my education and I've been out of school for 10 years. But it boggles my brain that there are parents who even think about this stuff in that way...

So I'm wondering if I'm the odd ball here...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 10:25 AM on May. 24, 2011 in

• No,my son will be going to a summer academic program

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:26 AM on May. 24, 2011

• We do not assign work for our kids during the summer, but we take every opportunity to learn if we can. We incorporate an element of learning into most activities. But I think that kids should be able to enjoy their summers without school work.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:32 AM on May. 24, 2011

• nope!

During the summer she writes in her journal every day & she also does math. We have an extra math book from this past school year that she is going to do every day so she'll remember all she learned & be extra ready for fourth grade. She also has to read every night before bed.

We also take educational trips. We're on our way to Boston next week & since she studied Paul Revere this year, we're going to visit his house. We're also going to see the USS constitution, the house of seven Gables & the pilgrim plantation.

You have to be active about it....you can't sit around & whine that your kid won't have any academics...the parent needs to make it happen!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:33 AM on May. 24, 2011

• No, I have never worried about my kids being academically challenged. There is so much more to learn OUTSIDE of the classroom, not just academics but how the world works, different cultures, etc., which is what I think teachers and administrators forget. I've always made a point of exposing my children to what the world has to offer and I truly believe they are more well-rounded than those who constantly have their noses in a book and don't have any "real life" experiences to draw from.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on May. 24, 2011

• the summer is for fun and break time. . . we homeschool but still take a nice break. . .if you don't break now and then you will get burnt out. Yes, I want my child to be stimulated but we don't go as far as book tests. . . we just read for fun and play flash card games and stuff like that. . .
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 10:35 AM on May. 24, 2011

• my child enjoys her summers big time. She does most of her work while we're driving in the car.....

She loves writing in her journal, most of the times she writes about dreams she has. I correct it if there are any mistakes. I think academics is important in the summer. We have tons of fun in the summer....it only takes about 1/2 an hour to do her work. I think it's a simple way to keep them on top & ahead of the game. I want my child to do her best in school....and i believe this really helps.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:37 AM on May. 24, 2011

• My younger 2 children (rising 1st and 7th) will work on math during the summer so they don't forget and have the struggle that was the first several months of this school year (middle child especially.) My rising 1st grader will also practice his reading so he really gets it.

My middle schoolers drink books so I don't have to worry about that as much, except for keeping them in books. And my rising 8th grader will be working on his science fair project, so that will reinforce other subjects as well as the science.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:38 AM on May. 24, 2011

• My Hubby and I were talking about this yesterday. We decided that our boys need to do some work throughout the Summer. I'm just going to go online and print out some worksheets, and we will be going to the library on a regular basis. I'm at home with them so I don't see any reason that they need to go somewhere to learn, when I can easily do it at home. We're also taking them on a trip at the end of June. We will be going to the Grand Canyon, a Dinosaur Park, where they can go on a dig, and then to California to the Muir Woods, among other places... It's going to be a learning filled Summer.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:45 AM on May. 24, 2011

• No! I plan to have as much fun as possible over the summer. Academics can wait until Fall.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 10:51 AM on May. 24, 2011

• We do have them read during the summer. Hadn't really given this any kind of thought until I read this question.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:11 AM on May. 24, 2011