If you wfh, what do you do with your children during the summer?

My DF and I both WFH and when the kids are home from school during the summer we struggle to manage the kids and keep focused on work. We experimented with sending the kids to day camp last year but they hated it and don't want to go again this year. We will be taking vacation part of the summer, but when we're home and working it will be a challenge. Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on May. 24, 2011 in General Parenting

• I would try to have a schedule. Can you do about an hour or so before they get up? Maybe have you and your husband trade off, you have kids for a set amount of time while he works and then he can take over while you get your work done. You could also have different activites like a teen take them to city pool 3 days per wk for a few hours.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:35 AM on May. 24, 2011

• How old are your kids?
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:33 AM on May. 24, 2011

• I'm babysitting for a couple that has a pool. So, my DD will be playing with their child (they are 9 & 10) while we all hang out poolside. I'm excited!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:39 AM on May. 24, 2011

• can you hire a babysitter? I' would be cheaper than sending them all to camp....
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:40 AM on May. 24, 2011

• I work at home - ALL 3 of my children are to young for school, and my DH works 50-60 hours away from home, so ALL the housework, cooking, dishes, yadda yadda, is mine to worry about. It's all about a schedule. We have a daily schedule for each one of us - except the baby cause she's only 5mos. And everyone follows their schedule. We include playtime, reading time, bath time, clean up time, dishes, dinner, everything. Anything that can happen through our day goes on the schedule. For example, 9-10 in the morning is mommy's time to answer emails, so that's when the boys (5 & 3 1/2) have their writing & drawing time. I simply made up a list of everything that each of us has to do in a day and fit it all in to a schedule that allowed us all to get it all done...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:43 AM on May. 24, 2011

• My son is going to be at camp a little bit, but I am lucky that I can work whenever I want, so I do some work when he goes to sleep, like 8p to 12a. When that gets old, I also have him do some "homework" over the summer so he doesn't fall behind, and while he does this for 2 hrs a day, (on the computer, he loves it!) I work. I think you should work out a schedule with your husband if you can. Trade off, he works, you do kids, and vice versa, that way both of you get some work done. Work expands to fill the time alloted. I would say try a different camp. What did they hate about the other one? Maybe you can pinpoint the problem, like it was too hot? Too boring? Too long? and fix that to get a better balance. Or tell kids they will be pitching in with housework if they stay home, then see how they feel about camp LOL!
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 10:51 AM on May. 24, 2011

• My oldest, 14, will stay home and earn spending $$ by helping me out with my 1 1/2 year old when he's not in morning daycare (3 days a week).

My 5 year old will go to camp for 6 weeks.

lizmarie1975

Answer by lizmarie1975 at 10:54 AM on May. 24, 2011

• I work from home, my kids are 4 and 6. My 6yo goes to 1/2 day kindergarten, when that ends it will be the 3 of us all day every day, lol. I don't know what your work schedules are like, but you are at an advantage having DH with you...

How old are the kids? Do you have a good backyard?

When the weather is nice my kids play outside just about all day, they have a great swing set, sand box, balls...when the weather warms up they have the sprinkler, slip n slide, etc... we also have a pool but I need to be with them for that, so I'll take a break in the afternoon to swim with them.

As for work, I tend to find time when I can, even if that is Friday night at 9pm, but my schedule is flexible that way.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 10:55 AM on May. 24, 2011

• OP here. Kids are 9 & 13, but the 13 yo isn't mature enough to watch the 9 yo (unfortunately).
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:05 AM on May. 24, 2011

• I am a WAHM and it can be a handful to juggle kids and work over summer vacation. My boys are 14,12 and 5. I do try to have a schedule and I also will let the kids have a bit extra computer/video game time, and sometimes we will rent a video and that occupies them for a little while. My middle will be in summer school - mornings only. I am also lucky to have parents and mil who are retired and live fairly close - and they will have the boys over for a day or overnight - and that helps.
    My city does have a variety of kids programs-- YMCA summer program, Boys/Girls Club summer program and the city offers some day camps and assorted kid activities.
    What about hiring an older teen to be a 'mother's helper' to come and keep an eye on the kids, play games with them or if they drive- take them places like the movies, park, (or wherever) to keep the kids occupied and give you a chance to work.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:14 AM on May. 24, 2011