Day Care

Everyday when I drop my child off at day care he cries like its the end of the world. He has been going to day care for 7 months now and I don't know what to do. He goes 3-4 days a week and seems to like it after he quits crying but I just don't know what to do to make it easier for him and me! I end up crying after I get in the car! I'm just losing my patience and feel like a bad mother when I leave him...

DavidsMom0218

Asked by DavidsMom0218 at 10:43 AM on May. 24, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My toddler does the same thing. But she's fine two minutes after I leave. You either have to trust that your kid is okay or not go to work.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 10:48 AM on May. 24, 2011

• How do you feel about the care he's getting there? Is he his normal self when you pick him up or on weekends? If you are confident that he really is happy once you leave, then try not to worry! Kids will always prefer to be around mom (some more than others), but that doesn't mean he can't be happy without you. Do you get much feedback from his teachers about what he's doing during the day, how he's sleeping and eating, who he's playing with, etc? It might help to solicit that kind of info if you're not already... just to get a good feel of what's actually going on when you are not there. My son still sometimes whimpers/cries or tries to follow me when I drop him off, but then I learn and see he's comfortable, making friends and playing games with the other kids when I pick him up, and I get a lot of feedback from his teachers so I trust that he's being well cared for.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 10:26 PM on May. 24, 2011

• at the daycare i used to work at we called the parents the moment the child was calm. It usually only took 2-3 min after the parent left. Its just a seperation anxiety kind of thing that most toddlers go through repeatedly. And some do it for the attention. Hang in there momma. See if the center has any handouts on why this is happening to help you understand whats going through your lil one's mind. This is what we did at our center was printed hand outs off for parents for waht the child was going through whether it be a sickness or as you have described here. It will get better over time.
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 1:10 AM on May. 25, 2011