What do you do?

Is anyone out there NOT looking forward to summers with their teens? I'm not really. It is so costly to keep them busy as they get this age all through summer and it seems like that's what they want. What do you all do that's fun all summer long with your teens?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on May. 24, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• WE LIVE AT A PRIVATE LAKE RESORT SO IT'S GREAT THEY HAVE A BEACH HERE AND THAT'S WHERE MY KIDS HAG ALL SUMMER, THEY LOVE IT AND IT'S FREE!!!! :)
    buttonlts

Answer by buttonlts at 10:52 AM on May. 24, 2011

• Why do YOU have to keep them busy and why do YOU have to pay?? My kids have very little that we do during the summer that costs much. They have friends over for pizza and movie afternoons. They create claymation movies with their digital cameras and windows movie photo editing software. They ride their bikes, play video games, read, practice their instruments. When July comes along they will be busy with HS marching band.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:42 AM on May. 24, 2011

• My boys are involved in sports and that keeps them busy for a majority of their days from now until end of June they are in baseball and in July football starts. I don't pay for them to do much at all. I get them a pool membership for the summer that costs about $85 and they can go whenever they want, they ride their bikes, have friends over, go to their friends homes, we have movie nights.
    We occassionally will go to dinner and movie (maybe once a month).
    If the money is there I may take them to a water park or on a vacation (but I usually need one too). There are also beaches for free where they can bring friends.
    There is so much to do in the summer that costs little.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 11:56 AM on May. 24, 2011

• I never really had an issue with my sons being bored during the summer. We live 6 blocks from the beach (since they were 13, 12, 9 and 8) so they always had that as an option and starting the summer the oldest was 14 they had football to keep them busy for the later part of summer. They all also did lawn care starting the year my oldest was 13, the 4 of them mowed, raked and weeded yards together for extra money andf then the summer in between the 10th and 11th grade 3 of them started working pt jobs and the oldest started the summer before he stated the 12th grade since he was only 15 the summer before he started the 11the grade. Between friends, sports, work and the beach they always had something going on.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 5:22 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Get them a pool pass and let them ride it out at the pool...lol.
    Or have them get a job and pay for some of their own things...or earn money by doing extra chores.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 9:26 AM on May. 25, 2011

• Sounds like they need jobs!
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 6:08 PM on May. 25, 2011

• lol
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 9:27 AM on May. 26, 2011

• They need jobs. They should get a job which is something to do and then they can use that money on other things to do. Offer to help them with a job search and inform them that you arent paying for thier summer activities because you cant afford it. Still pay for them on family outtings and take them places with you but if they want to go out alone or with friends then they can fund it!
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 12:58 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Mine are hard to entertain too. They are always wanting to do something that cost money and with 4 kids, it adds up fast. I try to find as many free options as possible, but as they age, their tastes in entertainment have changed and it is a challenge. This year my daughter and possibly my oldest son will be getting jobs, so that will help a lot.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 2:05 PM on May. 26, 2011

• We camp a lot and so far it works,
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 11:05 PM on May. 26, 2011