Children after 38?

How many women here have had a child after 38 years old? I want one more so bad but not sure if I am too old. I know people have kids older, but is it right for me? I don't know.

JenzAmomOf2

Asked by JenzAmomOf2 at 10:52 AM on May. 24, 2011 in Trying to Conceive

• Only you know if it is right for you. My friend had her first child at 38 and decided on no more after. It worked for her.

Answer by gemgem at 10:54 AM on May. 24, 2011

• No one can tell you whether it's right for you. That's between you, your doctor and your husband.

I had a couple of aunts who had children at age 38. My grandmother was 40 when she had her last baby. I'm 48 and don't have any qualms MEDICALLY about another pregnancy. It's just the rest of our life that won't work with it. But that's US. Your situation may be different.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:55 AM on May. 24, 2011

• my MIL did when she was 39. She keeps up with it pretty well but she is 50 with an 11 yr old kinda weird.
    ChanQ

Answer by ChanQ at 10:57 AM on May. 24, 2011

• ....and herein is one of my concerns about a pregnancy now.. I aged myself three months ahead! I'd be 48 upon giving birth if I was to get pregnant... I'm 47 till August 23!

Answer by gdiamante at 10:57 AM on May. 24, 2011

• I did not. But one of my coworkers, an ex-nurse and now a teacher, is 5 months pregnant and is 41.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 10:58 AM on May. 24, 2011

• Me pick me !!!!!! With our last one I was 39.That was nine years ago. Our children run 26, 23, 16, 11 and 8 soon to be 9. Ilove it and wouldn't change a thing. What's really great is I'm close enough to to remembering the baby and toddler stage that the Grandboys aren't that hard. Just finished baby wearing the 9mth old while hanging up clothes. So I say go for it.
    daps

Answer by daps at 10:59 AM on May. 24, 2011

• When I was 38, I was thrilled that I was done having babies. My daughters were in middle school, my husband and I loved our new "freedom". Well, when I was 38 I found out that I was pregnant with TWINS. I was scared, shocked, and thrilled all at the same time. Back to diapers, baby sitters sleepless nights etc...My little blessings are now 7 and I cant imagine life without my four children. I now have my boys and I am more patience than I was when my daughters were younger. Good luck to you!

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 11:05 AM on May. 24, 2011

• my mom was 45 when she gave birth to me. She is almost 75 & kickin it well...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:07 AM on May. 24, 2011

• I had my first (and so far only) baby when I was 40. She was a "surprise" but once DH and I learned I was pregnant, became very much a wanted child. Even though she's still just a toddler, I can hardly imagine life without her. We know several other first-time parents who are in their late 30s and 40s--its not unusual at all anymore!
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 11:13 AM on May. 24, 2011

• I'm feeling a lot better, thanks so much! I am 37 now, I am on depo for my birth control and have gained a crap load of weight, i cant wait to stop it and try for my last! I have one more depo to go then come Oct we will be trying, if all goes well between now and then! Thanks!
    JenzAmomOf2

Comment by JenzAmomOf2 (original poster) at 11:22 AM on May. 24, 2011