MY DAD IS DRIVING ME CRAZY!

Ok, I love my dad so much. He is everything to me, and normally I would do just about anything for him. But OMGosh the last month or so he is driving me crazy!!!

He and my mom are in their late 40's and never learned ANYTHING about technology. Dad can check his work email (once a day) and that is it. They decided it was time to get a laptop, which is fine and dandy. Well, dad signed up for Facebook. Again, fine and dandy. Then last week at work when his cell phone was run over, they insisted he "catch up with the times" and bought him... an iPhone.

I cannot tell you how many times a day I get a call asking how to do this or how to do that (on the laptop/FB/iPhone). He will show up at my house if I don't answer the phone (they live five minutes away), laptop in hand ready for me to show him how to do something. From a man who refused to get a cell phone to a man sending me texts, "What are you guys doing this weekend?" and "Tell my granddaughter that I love her" (AT 4 am!!!).

I'm seriously about to tell him that the only way he is going to learn is to do it himself and to stop calling me! I don't want to be mean, but I don't know how much longer I can take it!

What would you do??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on May. 24, 2011 in Relationships

• I would help him until he quit asking. It's quality time that you will fondly remember after he's gone.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 10:57 AM on May. 24, 2011

• This was my dad! I agree with meooma... this is something you will miss. I do miss it with my dad, who passed away in 2005.

Still, you don't want to make yourself too nuts. Is there a Dummies book for the iPhone? You might want to get him one.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:01 AM on May. 24, 2011

• I have to agree with meooma as well. It could easilly be him wanting to spend some time with you and pick your brain.

And I have to agree with the iPhone for Dummies book. It could actually become an inside joke between the two of you!
    Mina2904

Answer by Mina2904 at 11:14 AM on May. 24, 2011

• Awww -- it really is sweet, if you think about it. Daddy taught daughter, now daughter is teaching daddy. Just think of how intelligent he thinks you are and how he entrusts no one to teach him but you. I understand you need a break - even puppy breath gets old when your nose is being bitten. LOL Tell Dad that you're taking the weekend off - tell him to practice what he already knows and don't bother you for 3 days - then he can ask questions again.

I'm sorry he's driving you nuts - but it really is so sweet sounding for your daddy to feel that close to you and have this much confidence in you.

My own daddy - 70 years old - has been my technology student for almost a decade now - some things I've taught him over and over and over it seems like - but it's created a new kind of bond between he and I that I treasure very much. These memories will be special one day, I promise.
    ShelbyShareAlot

Answer by ShelbyShareAlot at 11:35 AM on May. 24, 2011

• I would help him.....he IS your Dad!!! Someday he will be too old to even Text you and you will miss that and wish you had been more generous and understanding.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:54 AM on May. 24, 2011

• With new forms of communication come new rules of etiqutte.... Tell your dad this and explain in great detail what is and isnt appropriate. Also explain to him things that arent 'taboo' but can be annoying nontheless. For example, I have a friend that updates her facebook atleast once an hour. Thats obnoxious because I cant see the posts from everyone else without scrolling through her lunch menu, whats playing on the radio, and what shes wearing that day.... Explain this stuff to him! If not you than who will!
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 1:09 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I feel your pain! My mom is the same way, my dad has a little experience and zero interest in learning. But with my mom, I have gone over things step by step, written them down for her. I still get multiple calls! It does get frustrating, but I help her, and I'm glad to. Just set up appropriate times for your dad to text, ask questions and get help. My mom is in her 70's, I can't imagine a man your dad's age being so computer illiterate.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 8:30 PM on Jun. 1, 2011