My 7-months old had a second HIB shot yesterday and has 101 temperature and chest caugh. Did anyone experience something similar?

I break down all the vaccines to do one at a time and this was the second HIB we did. The baby previously never had any reactions to vaccine. Now she has a temperature of 101, cries all the time and has a chest cough that reminds of croup. Did anyone experience anything similar? Any advice on what can soothe the baby other than tylenol (can't give too much of it). Thank you so much!

olivia101510

Asked by olivia101510 at 10:55 AM on May. 24, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Did you call your pediatrician and let them know what happened?
    Alynn74

Answer by Alynn74 at 11:01 AM on May. 24, 2011

• my ds never have fever after shots, but my pedi did warn us that sometimes they will have a fever. Maybe next time give your son/daughter tyleno before the shot that will help prevent it. At this time call the pedi.
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 11:05 AM on May. 24, 2011

• yes, for two days...I called, even went in and got brushed off as "it's typical" so I wasted the co pay
    hollydaze1974

Answer by hollydaze1974 at 12:01 PM on May. 24, 2011

• My oldest daughter had a fever and a swollen arm after her shots at 6 weeks ( back in 1967) but by the next day she was back to normal , cheerful and hungry. WHat is an HIB shot?
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 12:54 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I don't vaccinate my children, so I don't have any similar stories for you. BUT, I would suggest calling her peds and you'll need to report it to the VEARS program. Most reactions are never reported (the CDC says only about 6% are) and because of that there are quite a few safety issues that aren't being dealt with because the reaction numbers remain down. So if nothing else, report it.

Beyond that, I would say a cool washcloth on her head, lots of fluids and keep an eye on the cough in case it changes or stays to long, which can be dangerous.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:03 PM on May. 24, 2011