Can the school keep my 5yo from starting if they don't think she is ready?

i have a 5yo, i took her to k-enrollment, i asked them when they will test them and i was told they test the 1st week of school and then they will decide if she is ready for K. or not. can they do this she is 5 right now

retner

Asked by retner at 11:13 AM on May. 24, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• They can. My son had to go through a test to see if he was ready, but don't worry about it, They ask questions about naming colors, body parts, and clothing, etc. No calculus or anything :)
    hollydaze1974

Answer by hollydaze1974 at 11:15 AM on May. 24, 2011

• Why wouldn't you want them to do it that way? My philosophy is that you never want to be the child that is "not entirely" ready for kindergarten. That's only going to make them feel inferior to all the other kids, if the others are working at a faster pace than him. It's always better to be a little more advanced in the learning area than not. If he needs to wait another year, that's only going to be for his best interest the next year. Schools test for this exact reason.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:17 AM on May. 24, 2011

• They can, it is at their discretion and they don't want to set your little one up for failure.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:21 AM on May. 24, 2011

• In my state they only do that if the child entering Kinder is not supposed to but is being allowed due to the birthdate being close to the dates the district puts out. For instance my grandson is 4. In Nov he turns 5. In order for us to get him in the district requires us to test him and if he passes he can stay in Kinder. Instead we put him in headstart.

Answer by gemgem at 11:24 AM on May. 24, 2011

• Why would they wait until school is already underway to test? Our readiness test was done in march and there is a class offered in July for the kids as well to help prepare them. Wy wait until your child has been in school for aweek before deciding if she's ready or not? That doesn't make much sense to me
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 3:16 PM on May. 24, 2011

• i got my answer, i took her to the school and they gave her speech and motor skill an evaluation. she didn't pass the speech. but she will be going to kindergarten. they want to retest her after she has been in class awhile to see if her speech will improve being around kids her age. i was so proud of her that day, she got to use scissors for one of her few times and she did well. i didn't know scissors were a skill that she was suppose to know. i don't let her use them cause she cuts things that don't need cut,(hair, clothing, and skin)

retner

Comment by retner (original poster) at 6:29 PM on May. 28, 2011

• I think they can
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 9:20 AM on Jun. 10, 2011