Credit cards

I am a sahm who works from home. I do childcare and also work online. I have never had any line of credit such as a loan or credit card. In fact,I have 0 credit. I'd really like to get a credit card. Is it possible? I don't want to waste my time adding inquiries to my credit with numerous cards if its I have a waste of time. Does someone know a good card for me/the website?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on May. 24, 2011 in Money & Work

• I'm not sure you can get a credit card without ever having had credit. I might look into one of those prepaid cards, that's where i would start.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:29 AM on May. 24, 2011

• I was able to get a capital one card and I am a SAHM. I just used DH's income...since it is the house hold income....But its not a huge limmit only 500 but that is more then enough to build my credit.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 11:31 AM on May. 24, 2011

• My first credit card was a JCPenney card...so might want to try that out to get some credit established, but be careful, the interest rates can be brutal on store cards. If you have a checking account, maybe talk to your bank and see what they would suggest. They may be able to set you up with a Line of Credit on your checking account or have a credit card for newbies.
    sdks2011

Answer by sdks2011 at 11:32 AM on May. 24, 2011

• meooma- you can get a credit card without having credit...that is how most kids get credit cards at 18...thats when I made my first mistake lol...I got a card and never paid it on time....kinda dug a hole for myself with that one...now the card I have has a 500 limmit and the min due is 15 a month...but I pay 20 every 2 weeks so that it dosnt build up on me...
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 11:33 AM on May. 24, 2011

• Best bet would be to go through your bank for one (they know your banking history), or get a store card - like if you buy a lot at Khol's or something, apply for their card - it's a start.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on May. 24, 2011

• Again, I learn something new everyday on Cafemom...thanks Sheli.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:42 AM on May. 24, 2011

• If you are going to use it strictly for building credit go for a secure card. Always go for a secure card.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 11:44 AM on May. 24, 2011

• See if you can get one through your bank
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 12:02 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I would start with a Department store credit card---I got one when I was about 20 . ( in the 60's) and I wasn't married. I think then you have a "foot in the door". Pay your bill in full every month and then try for a MAJOR Credit card. Then pay the bill on time on the new card. Soon you will have a credit rating--- a really good one if you always pay your bill ON TIME! Good luck.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 12:03 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Best place to start is your bank as the others have posted.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:18 PM on May. 24, 2011