Mirena IUD?

Is it still around? Have you used it? Do you feel it is safe? Effective? Convenient?

...or if you chose not to use it, why? and what did you choose instead?

THANKS!

:o)

FelipesMom

Asked by FelipesMom at 11:36 AM on May. 24, 2011 in Health

• I love mine, getting another one put in as soon as this one comes out. I have had no problems with it at all. But, some women do. I did not react well to any birth control pill, I had real bad side effects from all of them. So, i tried this & it saved my life! So happy about it....
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:38 AM on May. 24, 2011

• I am on my second Mirena. My only complaint is that occasionally I have spotting after intercourse. Otherwise, I'm very happy with it. My periods are much lighter (some women don't have them at all), my cramps are less, and IUDs in general are THE most effective form of birth control. You'll hear good and bad things, because every woman is different, but the good thing is that if you decide you don't like it, it's a quick trip to the doctor and a painless procedure to have it removed.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:02 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I had 2. The first was ok, had it for 1 1/2 yrs, got preg the day after it was removed. 2nd wasn't put in correctly. It hurt to walk, lie down, have sex, cough... Everything. I will never use it again.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on May. 24, 2011

• I'm with samurai chica...I love mine, getting ready to have my swapped out for a new one, my 5 years is coming up in a couple of months. BC pills had awful side effects...it was a great alternative.
    sdks2011

Answer by sdks2011 at 11:40 AM on May. 24, 2011

• One word: RUN. And check out the Paragard IUD. It's non-hormonal and lasts 10 years. Good luck!
    .MommieAJ.

Answer by .MommieAJ. at 11:44 AM on May. 24, 2011

• I had Paragard and got pregnant in less than a year on it. To be fair it MAY have been placed incorrectly. On Mirena now and just passed my 1year mark and have no complaints so far.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 12:00 PM on May. 24, 2011

• musicpisces, I wonder why anyone would vote that answer down...???
    FelipesMom

Comment by FelipesMom (original poster) at 12:54 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I think you should do some reading about the side effects before you get one. My doctor really pushes them but I'm not comfortable with them.
    Dabberdoo

Answer by Dabberdoo at 1:26 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I'm going to write a Journal about my Mirena experience tonight or tomorrow..that way you can get more of an explanation as to why I say RUN. And I'm not alone..you should see how many horror stories there are, on this site alone!
    .MommieAJ.

Answer by .MommieAJ. at 1:38 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I'm glad you asked this question! I was going to post one just like it. I'm still kind of torn though, after reading these answers!
    myree85

Answer by myree85 at 3:06 PM on May. 24, 2011