Child supervision?

Do you think we supervise our kids more than our parents supervised us as children? I KNOW I do, but things have just changed so much. I remember being outside playing alone all the time. My parents didn't want to play in the snow or leaves all the time like I did (you know, back when kids still wanted to play outside) and they would just let me go out and come back in when I got cold. My SO was raised the same way...come in when you're cold or bleeding or something, but otherwise, enjoy yourself.

I could NOT do that now. I worry that there are too many perverts out there...the world is just WAY too different. My SO has a tendency of not thinking about things like that and told me the today "oh, she's fine" until I pointed out how many sex offenders live around us.

Do you guys feel the same? Do you think it contributes to our kids not being outside as much as we were as kids?

kabbot01

Asked by kabbot01 at 2:17 PM on Dec. 8, 2008 in General Parenting

• OMG! I'm 40 and my husband is 46, and we remember being "kicked out" of the house by 9AM (on weekends, school vacations, summertime), and told to be home when the street lights came on! We were like little packs of wolves...roaming the cities and summer vacation places we grew up in...hanging out at friends houses, riding bikes, meeting up with other friends at playgrounds, community centers, the BEACH (Cape Cod, walking along Jetties), etc. We would literally cover MILES of territory every day..and NO cell phones! Our parents had NO CLUE where we were or what we did! I grew up in Boston, my husband in Princeton, NJ, and for all of our roaming, NEVER got in to trouble!

My oldest is almost 7, and I won't let him cross the street in our subdivision without holding my hand! LMAO! I'm sure I'll lighten up in time, but I am WAAAY more overprotective than mine or my husband's parents were!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:52 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I try my best to raise my children the way I was raised, including letting them play outside unsupervised. My oldest is 7, and he's allowed to.. the 4 year old is still too young. I don't think sexual predators are necessarily on the rise, we're just more informed than our parents ever were with internet, and the media being more prominent. My brother was molested by a neighbor around 1980, and nothing was really done about it. I can't imagine that now, but at the time my mom's reasoning was she didn't want my brother to go through further suffering from having it known publicly. Given the way things were then, I can see her point. My dad did however go down and have a "talk" with the man and he moved soon after that.

I refuse to live life in fear of what could happen. Bad things happen every day even when you do everything 'right'.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 2:22 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I am about 300 % more protective of my daughter. My parents used to let me ride my bike up and down the main road swim at the nearby waterfall when I was like 9 and I would be gone for hours without them even checking on me and they werent "bad" parents either, they just didnt feel the need to supervise I guess. The world has changed dramatically in the last 15 years, but I still wouldnt of ever been like that with my child.
    asholan_07

Answer by asholan_07 at 2:22 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• My parents use to lock us out of the house. We had to kock to use the bathroom.

Answer by louise2 at 2:24 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I think we are more aware of things around us because so many bad things can happen to children in todays world, which is just incredibly sad. As for me, well I guess I was a dork because I always liked being inside reading books more then playing outside. Unless it was summer then I swam in our pool all the time but did have supervision at all times.

Answer by gemgem at 2:26 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• My husband and I were raised in the 70's with what now would be called lack of supervision. We have a multi special needs child but often talk about what kind of parent we would be if we had a healthy/typical child. Our son is bussed to school but my DH always says one of us would walk him/her(if we had a DD) to school and elementary school is 4 blocks away and middle/high school is 6 blocks away. My DH cant believe all the kids he sees walking/playing with no adult supervision,Robin
    ilovecoffee95

Answer by ilovecoffee95 at 2:35 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• It's hard for me to compare. I was an only child, and I have 2 kids. So, I probably supervise them more than my parents did me, but only to keep them from fighting and arguing over toys, etc. I was a quiet child, tended to stay in my room and read or play with Barbies, or play outside with my friends. Generally, I was always outside w/o my parents, but always with my friends, all of whom my parents knew very well, as well as their parents. So, I think I'm probably more of a hands-on (or rather, eyes on) supervisor than my parents, but I don't think I really supervise them more than my parents did me, if that makes sense.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 2:51 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I think our generation does supervise our children more.
    My mother was a real peach, she often left me with inappropriate people, like potential child molesters and dopers that taught me how to roll joints when I was little. She would lock me and my sister out of the house while she had sex with random, strange men.
    Needless to say, my children will have more supervision. We have a big, fenced backyard that they will be able to play in, some of the time, unsupervised, with me in the house. And maybe when they get older, over 10-12ish, out front, if we still live in the same neighborhood, since we live in a really safe neighborhood ,called COP HILL because of all of the law enforcement that lives here. We also live in a cul-de sac, which helps as well.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 2:54 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I had a very over protective mom she had to know were I was every minute. I have to say I'm almost as bad. My kids have to be in ear shot or at someones house where I have the number and I know that parent is just as bad as I am. Even if I'm not outside with them I can hear them. So almost as bad yep. My mother was just far too paranoid.
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 3:28 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Yes, I agree we can't let them play ...my boys want to ride their bikes around and it is fine if they are together but I have 1 who likes to go alone and I refuse to allow him it isn't safe. And we have family on every corner ... but we also have registered SOs on every other corner .. and then there are of course the ones who haven't been caught yet! Last year I had hubby put up a 10 ft fence all the way around the front and back yard! Now my kids can play outside and I don't worry. ..
    magicmama6

Answer by magicmama6 at 7:34 PM on Dec. 8, 2008