Swaddling for nap time?

Hi my son is 6 weeks old and I find that recently he'll only go down for a nap or nighttime if he's swaddled or in his car seat. I want him to leanr to sleep without it, but I don't wnat to forfit good nighttime sleep by having him get too tired during the day. Any suggestions?

HighCntryMom82

Asked by HighCntryMom82 at 2:36 PM on Jul. 11, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I swaddled my son and I also swaddle the 3 month old I do daycare for. I think it is a great tool for young ones, and you can weine them later from it, just as you do anything else. The carseat is no good for the development of their back, so that is not a good idea, but swaddling is very natural and something they usually ease themselves out of the habit of doing, usually once they are strong enough to push their arms out. :)
    hopingfor5

Answer by hopingfor5 at 2:47 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• swaddling a baby is a very good thing it makes babies feel safe & secure
    prissykrissy135

Answer by prissykrissy135 at 3:06 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• Don't take away the swaddling if it helps him sleep... he is WAY too young for you to try to "train" him to sleep well on his own. That won't come for MANY more months. He will eventually start breaking his way out of the swaddling blanket and then you'll know that it's time to stop doing that.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 3:11 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• When he gets bigger he wiggle out of the swaddle anyway. So you won't be swaddling your 12 year old every night, don't worry!
    MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 3:11 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• leave him swaddled he will grow out of it - if it helps him sleep its fine.
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 3:22 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• swaddling is a good thing. I did it until mine was 3 months. It makes him feel he is being held.Safe and secure
    Anonymous

• He's pretty young. I say let him swaddle, while he needs it. Before you know it, he'll be almost 4 like my son and dressing himself!
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 10:11 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• Thanks for all your answers. I have to use the kiddopotomus brand with velcrow or he will break free. We've been coming him a little houdini since he was 2 weeks for that reason. But he really does love the swaddle, so I'll keep it up as long as he needs it.
    HighCntryMom82

Answer by HighCntryMom82 at 11:20 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• I had one of the kiddopotamus swaddlers for my son but i also had a halo sleep sac one. I, and my baby both preferred the Halo one, and depending on the climate (i dont know where you live) the Halo one we had was also a little heavier material. I liked the Kiddopatomus one for summer, it was a cooler more breathable material. With the halo one, the swaddle part was removable so when the baby is done swaddling you can use the one part for pajamas (if they don't grow out of it by then)
    calvinsmommy18

Answer by calvinsmommy18 at 2:13 AM on Jan. 9, 2009