Please help.

Does anyone have a high tolerance for pain and it mattered in labor? I have a high tolerance for pain and I am afraid I'll try to with hold from going to the hospital for too long. What if I am having cramping pains and they don't hurt THAT bad and I can pull through them? I have been cramping and contracting but I am waiting for it to be bad enough for me not to be able to push through it. They are very 5 minutes and I am having a lot of discharge and pressure down there. It feels like a very sharp menstrual cramp.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:22 PM on Dec. 8, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Go to the hospital and call your obgyn on the way...5 minute apart is most likely labor & not eveyrone experiences "painful or unbareable" contractions- my labor contractions where not that painful
    litstargazer

Answer by litstargazer at 2:24 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• By the way I am 38 weeks.
    Anonymous

• I would go if they are that close. Have you called your doctor? I wanted to be strong through it too, but I made sure I was at the hospital in enough time. Save your pushing moments to be strong, you will need it then if your not doing any meds. I know a girl that just started having her son in her pants as she was walking into the hospital..call your doctor!
    asholan_07

Answer by asholan_07 at 2:26 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• If it is every five minutes, then it is time to go. You are in active labor and they will keep you. CONGRATS!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 2:26 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• It sounds like you might be in the beginning of labor. My midwife told me not to worry about heading to the hospital until the contractions got so strong that I couldn't do anything during them (talk/walk etc). I would call your provider and tell him/her what's going on and see what they say. Try not to go to the hospital too early, because they might send you home, but keep someone updated. A good rule that my midwife and doula both told me is to head into the hospital when the contractions are 2-3 mins apart, lasting 60 seconds for 1 hour. Good luck!
    Babyness

Answer by Babyness at 2:30 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Call your doc, regardless of the pain. Mine were two-three minutes apart and didn't really hurt until I was eight hours into labor. Try to forget about having a high pain tolerance, that seems to make labor harder for a lot of women as they're not expecting things to be as bad.
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 2:31 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Regardless of your tolerance for pain (and mine is QUITE high) contractions that you can not walk or talk thru are an indication that you're very very close to giving birth. If pain is not a good indicator of how ready you are let the ppressure be your sign. If you feel you have to go to the bathroom very badly but do not have to PLEASE go to the hospital. We certaintly don't want you having to have your baby in the bathtub right?
    tat2edmommyof2

Answer by tat2edmommyof2 at 2:38 PM on Dec. 8, 2008