If your child is 18 but still lives at home and is still in High school where does the responsibility level for the child stop and start?

Just curious. He still lives at home but is 18 is he really responsible for his own grades, own actions etc.... at this point or are we since he is still living at home?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:00 PM on May. 24, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• Legally he is responsible for himself. If he gets in trouble with the law he is an adult. If he gets in an accident its on him. My two sons were/are the same way. They listen to us and our house rules or they can move out. Plain and simple. But legally speaking they are responsible for themselves.

Answer by gemgem at 12:02 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Being a divorced mom, I pay attention to this based on obligations of child support, however, the child support laws say payment stops after child graduates high school. We all know sometimes this happens at 18 and a half, and sometimes it happens at 17 and a half. As is the case with both my kids- one will graduated over 18 and one while they are still 17. So for me, my parental decisions will end when both graduate high school. Hope this helps.
    Danishlady

Answer by Danishlady at 12:04 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I would think that as a legal adult he's responsible for his actions, but as for things in your home, he should obey. Like curfew, chores, etc.. That's my opinion anyway.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:12 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I agree with mrsleftlane
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 12:24 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I turned 18 during my senior year in HS. My parents were separated (and divorce filed) and I lived with my mom. My dad did pay child support until I turned 18 then he filed to have mine dropped. I did not have a job (yet) so my mom did support me financially, pay for my clothes, shoes, food.... I did do quite a bit of work around the house and I also paid for all the gas for her car (since I drove it too). After I graduated I did get a job,and then I paid my mom $50/month for 'rent' to live in her house, and I also tried to take some of the burden off her by buying groceries for the house, so she would not have to.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:30 PM on May. 24, 2011

• For me and my siblings, as long as we were in high school, we were bound by parental authority. As soon as we graduated, we had more freedom. I graduated at 17 and was allowed to then go out of town overnight, and make adult decisions without really answering to much, but I also moved out pretty much right away.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 12:39 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Exactly what Mrs. LeftLane said. It was the same in our household when one of our boys was still in HS and turned 18. Curfews, chores, etc. still held in place until graduation.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:06 PM on May. 24, 2011

• My daughter is 18 graduating this June. I feel her main responsibility is to focus on her education and graduating. Our daughter does have household responsibilities like doing her own laundry, helping out when needed.  She is respectful of our house rules so she is welcome to live with until she is ready to move out.  Her older sister who is 20 moved out at 18, she would not follow house rules.

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 7:54 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Your house, YOUR rules! If your child isn't doing well in school, you have the right to demand answers! Legally he is an adult, however that doesn't give him the right to come and go as he pleases, do what he pleases and slack off in school or work. Remember you are no longer obligated to allow him to live at home unless he is pulling his weight!
    twinkletoes0408

Answer by twinkletoes0408 at 11:00 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Legally he is responsible for his own actions and at this age he should be responsible for a lot of his decisions also. But I also think you are still responsible for making sure he finishes school. It is your house and you do make the rules, I don't think you should be too hard on him though, young adults learn by making mistakes and realizing there are consequences to their decisions.
    lisalmeyer86

Answer by lisalmeyer86 at 11:52 AM on May. 25, 2011