Mother born with Cleft Lip and Palate..

Hi, Y'all.. I am 22yrs old, and I was born with Bilateral Cleft Lip and Palate.. I don't think my Dr. will be able to give me too much information, but I was wondering if maybe any other mothers were born this way.. I was wondering what the chances were of me having a child born like I was.. I'm not sure what statistics say, and its kind of bothersome. I was just wondering what everyone else experiences are/were, and maybe find some insight as to how they handled it. I'm a first time Momma, and I'm just a little curious!
All replies are welcome! Ty!

Momma2be11

Asked by Momma2be11 at 12:06 PM on May. 24, 2011 in General Parenting

• My dh was born with both. None of our kids had this problem.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 12:07 PM on May. 24, 2011

• i have a friend that did not have it but her husband did..her son was born with bilateral and with a cleft palet..they say its hereditary..she also did not find out until later in her pregnancy..ask your dr tell them your concerns and im sure they will get you the answers you need..good luck and congrats :)
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 12:08 PM on May. 24, 2011

• As far as my mother was told when I was born, it was caused by a virus.. I'm the only child in my family born this way, I'm just praying my child does not have to suffer through it, too!
    Momma2be11

Comment by Momma2be11 (original poster) at 12:09 PM on May. 24, 2011

• We were told that they could not show up on an ultrasound. DH is the only one in his family too.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 12:10 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I was wondering if maybe they could tell on a 3D ultrasound.. But I'm not too sure how that works.
    Momma2be11

Comment by Momma2be11 (original poster) at 12:11 PM on May. 24, 2011

• your children are more at risk
    ChanQ

Answer by ChanQ at 12:33 PM on May. 24, 2011

• My cousin was born with a cleft lip and pallet, and one of her children was born with the same condition, and one was not. I do believe that she knew before the baby was born that the baby would need the corrective surgery before she was born, so it is possible that if the doctor is aware of the possibility that he might be able to order ultrasounds and tell from them if your baby has any issues.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 12:36 PM on May. 24, 2011

• He hasn't mentioned anything about there being a chance.. But I guess I should ask him since he ISN'T asking.. I just hope to GOD he would tell me before the baby was born.. My mother's doctor knew before I was born that I had it, yet he didn't inform her.. Instead they were giving her anxiety medicine and kept her pretty much out of her mind for my birth..
    Momma2be11

Comment by Momma2be11 (original poster) at 12:44 PM on May. 24, 2011

• How sad that he wouldn't warn her! I would prepare for the chance either way, learn what you would need to do, what the procedures would be, etc...but try not to stress out. It is a fairly common process, and while it had several stages for my cousin's daughter, she always seemed comfortable and my cousin always knew what was next and when everything would be finished. There was VERY minimal scarring, as well.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 12:47 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Thank GOD I have my mother, so she can support me if the baby is born that way.. I'm just so afraid that baby will suffer the way I did.. I'm comfortable with it NOW, but as a child, I hated it.. I just pray for the best for Baby!
    Momma2be11

Comment by Momma2be11 (original poster) at 12:51 PM on May. 24, 2011