Has anyone seen the documentary "Waiting for Superman"?

What did you think of it?

MamisAngels

Asked by MamisAngels at 12:08 PM on May. 24, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I haven't seen it yet. I am a teacher so I'm interested and hope I get to see it soon. From what I've heard it's pretty sad.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:15 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I haven't yet, but plan to.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 12:22 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I saw it and it was interesting.. i don't think reforming the education system will work though.. especially with unions in place. It's really sad.
    TheHappyChicken

Answer by TheHappyChicken at 12:36 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I really want to see it. The broken system is why I will NEVER send my children to public school. I have already started saving, live below my means and will work my ass off to put them through private school.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 12:41 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Yes, I was waiting to see a reply before giving my opinion. I just finished watching after hearing so much about it. I agree, it is sad. I won't say more for those who haven't seen it yet. Just see it as soon as you can! ;-) I recently (Feb. '11) began homeschooling my children using the k12.com curriculum. This decision was after struggling with a charter school & a private school. I figured if these didn't meet my expectations, then public school just wasnt an option, in my mind. I have nothing against public schools personally. I was raised in public schools. I just have seen so much change from my time till now. Anyway, this homeschooling experience helped me appreciate True teachers even more. And this film has certainly encouraged me in my decision. I highly recommend it. Please share what you think after you've seen it. ;-)
    MamisAngels

Comment by MamisAngels (original poster) at 12:46 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Haven't seen it but I LOVE our public school. It's amazing and 10 times better than the Catholic school my kids went to. They were so far behind when they left that school it was sad (two of them went there for 3 years and the other went there for 2 years) The younger 2 were reading almost 2 grade levels below where they should and have been playing catch up ever since. They both started there in kindergarten. They were just never taught to read by the school. My oldest went to a different public school for K and 1st and excelled in school. I loved that school, too (who wouldn't love 13 kids to a classroom...every single class in the elementary school).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:42 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Nope, Not yet
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 9:16 AM on Jun. 10, 2011