My pool is leaking, has this ever happened to you?

LOL! I'm not really complaining, because this is not really a problem, per se. But we have this little $200 pool we bought at WalMart last year. It is so great for when it is hot out. So, Sunday, I go out, uncover it and clean it up a little. I found three leaks. Husband patched them (or so we thought!) and I proceed to fill up the pool. This is a process, we have a well and you can't do it all at once or the pump will burn out.

So yesterday, no problems, and my son was even fooling around in the few feet of water that was in it. I was out in the backyard picking up junk and raking up leaves and whatnot. I didn't see any water.

Just a half an hour ago, I go outside to turn off the water, as the pool is pretty full, and I will finish filling it up when son is home from school in about two hours... Well, there's a slow amount of water trickling from underneath the pool! So, after conversing with Husband on telephone, we are going to patch rather than buy another pool, because he thinks it can be salvaged. The people at the pool store have some good stuff there that we haven't used yet. So, buying an new pool and filling that one up is off the table!

So, has this ever happened to you? If so, because I am obviously going to have to drain an almost completely filled up pool, what would you do? I am leaning towards watering the yard with this water, because it has not rained here regularly in months, and the grass could use it. I also need to wash three cars, and I could clean up everything in the yard. The water is chlorinated somewhat, but no more than drinking water would be. I'm more upset about wasting all of these gallons of water than anything else. The pool is right next door to a greenhouse, but if I washed out everything in the greenhouse to store the water, I would end up using more water than when I started!

Any other ideas/experiences out there?

dwmom2008

Asked by dwmom2008 at 12:37 PM on May. 24, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Pool patching kits don't work. Get some blue permatex in the automotive dept. It's used to make/seal auto gaskets. Works under water too. Put some on a piece of plastic (I used a sandwich baggy) and patch both sides of the hole. This patch has held up for 2 years so far.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:13 AM on May. 25, 2011

• No idea.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 5:58 PM on May. 25, 2011

• No advice, but I hope you figure it out. I want to get us a small pool for our yard too.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 2:25 PM on May. 26, 2011

• that stinks... we don't have one of those
    asil

Answer by asil at 11:07 PM on May. 27, 2011

• It's never happened to us. How would you store that much water to use it for all those things? You do have to completely drain the pool to patch it right?
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 12:49 PM on May. 24, 2011

• No, never happened to me. My friend has the Wal-Mart pool, she only gets one to two years use out of it because the stuff it's made out of starts tearing and leaking. She just gets a new one as needed because at that price it's still cheaper than putting in an inground pool, even she had to buy a new one every year for the rest of her life.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 3:16 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I have no useful advice. I hope you can get it fixed so your son can have fun in it again this summer.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 4:02 PM on May. 24, 2011

• That totally sucks. We always had a pool growing up but it was a permanent above ground kind (metal frame with a liner in it). We've had the same pool for 22-23 years and I don't think the liner has ever been replaced or patched and it got a ton of use when I was a kid and the last few years with my kids (it's at my dad's house).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:33 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Husband called the pool store, they have a patch you can do if it is not drained. We'll see how it goes. I was planning on doing all the watering, etc. with hoses as the pool drains. We have a lot of hoses around here! Hopefully it will be fixed by tomorrow morning. I got in it with husband to find the leak, and it was better this pm. ??? Anyway, it's all clean and pretty down there, got everything raked up, looking good. Now just have to keep it filled with water and add the chemicals!
    dwmom2008

Comment by dwmom2008 (original poster) at 8:43 PM on May. 24, 2011

• That is interesting that they have something you can use without draining the pool. Good luck, I hope it works for you!
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 8:58 PM on May. 24, 2011